hole in gas tank

WillBilly53

Stating the obvious here, I would be EXTREMELY careful welding a gas tank. <BR> shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 <P>Unless it was JB Weld.<BR> grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0 <P>Maybe fill it with water first, but I would think that would affect the welding.I think there are repair kits for gas tanks. I'm sure you'll get a good answer here from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. grin.gif" border="0

Hi Will,<BR> I would repair it. two ways mig-weld a patch, or solder a patch in place. In either case cleanliness of metal is important for good weld/solder joint you should clean at least an inch back around the area of bead. If soldering use a good cleaner/flux.<BR> As far as danger of explosion- clean tank out good like steam clean or pressure wash.<BR> If you can't do that, get as liquid out and wash with a hose and then run car exhaust or another inerting gas (nitrogen-argon-carbondioxide)into tank. Start it before you start welding this will force out Oxygen and provide non-explosive atmosphere in tank.

hey thanks y'all,<P>i've pulled the gas tank already. and flushed it out. and then i took it to a radiator place to get it boiled and they washed it out and flushed it (i guess with just water) and then i saw all the posts about just buying one of the repair kits. so i told the guy i was just gonna pick it up and not have it boiled out. the thing that's weird is i do NOT remember seeing that hole there before i dropped it off. but anyways not really important. the hole is there.<P>if i flush it out with a hose, do ya'll think it be safe to weld that patch?<BR>also, all i have is one of those small AC100 electric welders from Eastwood. I plan on getting one of those Gas kits from Home Depot for about $279 - will that work? are those pretty good?<BR>thanks again,<P>will e.

ICKS-NAY on the welding! We want to see you in Flint, MI next year!!!<P>You are NOT going to believe this! The guy I bought Annie from has my OLD tank for the 1953 Buick Roadmaster. I didn't want to haul it back to KC with me. He had it posted on ebay.com about a month ago, don't know if it sold. It's a clean tank and ready to install. <P>Anybody out there know if the Roadmaster gas tank will fit the 1953 Super? I know, I know, 'get a BIG hammer'. Any input from the '53 pros will help Will out.<P>I know Tom will work with you ($$$) on my old gas tank especially when he finds out what you are doing. He appreciates people who 'save' old cars like you.

Ok like I said it is COMMON SENSE I have personally welded many gas tanks in my life time. <BR> If it really smells like gas old or new flush it. Detergent soap and hot water really good,and you probably won't have to inert it. <BR> Of course if you leave gas in it (like the guys who blow them up) you are asking for it. Just use good sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>az for the welder A mig or tig is a must stick rod will burn holes. The small nig welders are ok from HD but I would recommend the Lincoln 110v MIG use 75/25 CO2/argon gas mix with mild steel .023" wire don't use flux core wire.<BR> When you all done get a good pour in tank coating(see suppliers in Hemmimgs) and follow the instructions this not only seals any pin holes but locks down any loose dirt.<BR> that's that...Remenber Common sense!! rolleyes.gif" border="0<p>[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: Scott W. Taylor ]

Guest tin knocker

If you intend to weld on a gas tank you must remember that the metal is quite thin and to obtain a good weld you will need the dexterity of a brain surgeon and alot of practice. A friend of my fathers nearly lost his legs cutting an empty lacquer barrel which sat behind his shop for years with the bungs out. I am terrified of using flame or sparks on a tank. More in my line is to solder a patch over the hole. I use a soldering iron and heat it with a propane torch away from the tank. Make the patch to overlap a little and clean surfaces with muriatic acid and tin them. Place the patch over the hole and solder in place. It is simple and works well for me.

I have been working on cars professionally for about 30 years and would NOT recommend welding a gas tank. They sell a kit at your local auto parts store (Advance Auto Parts) or etc. thats specially made for gas tank repairs. As a matter of fact it's called a gas tank repair kit. It comes with gasoline resistant 2 part epoxy and some plastic mesh.<BR>You mix a little epoxy 50/50 and smear it over the hole, about a inch further out, while its still wet you place a layer of mesh over the epoxy making sure the epoxy comes out of the mesh's little holes (like screen), then after the epoxy sets up about half hour, you smear another coat over the entire area.<BR>Let it dry over night and your set for many years. I did this proceedure on my pick-up truck many years ago and it's still good. I hope this helped you.

as member 4884 wrote in responding to your message, he was the fortunate person that purchased my 1953 Roadmaster - a great car that just keeps on floating down the highways...anyway, at a early point in my ownership, i changed out the gas tank. i still have the other tank and the tank is still in very good shape....if it fits the Super model, it's yours for the shipping and packaging costs plus $10.....i would recommend using Gas Tank Renu to coat the inside.

Willy,<BR>The post above this one is the guy I bought "Annie" from in Spokane, WA.<BR>I told you he would make you an offer you couldn't refuse!<BR>I'd take him up on the offer since tanks are rarebirds to find.<BR>YES - have somebody do the 'Renu' process on the tank. I can't say enough about it.

Hey, there is a guy by the name of Victor Yordy. He owns a metal repair shop in Duwart,Pa. He has done lots of repair work on my dads 53 Skylarks. In addition he has also mentioned repairing gas tanks. If you are interested I can provide some information for you to contact him.