Guage cluster on 71-73 Electras

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Here is a E-Bay link to a 1973 Buick Electra 2dr. I noticed a difference in the guage cluster from my old 72 Electra I had. My car had a woodgrain accent inside the gauge cluster itself, where this car has a solid black trim without the woodgrain/chrome accent. Was the woodgrain accent only on the Custom models? Here is a link to the car. <BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822347287" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822347287</A>

1971-1972 LeSabres, Centurions, and Electras used the same style woodgrain instrument panels. 1971-1972 Rivieras used the silver engine turning in place of the woodgrain.<BR>In 1973, all LeSabres, Centurions, Electras, and Rivieras used woodgrained dash panels, but it was a different woodgrain than the '71-'72 models.<BR>I think it was Natalie Wood.<P>AK Buickman...........................

Guest Shaffer

My Electra had a little less woodgrain on the other areas of the dash, than your 73, but inside the guage cluster itself, there was woodgrain accents, with chrome accents surrounding that. Around the fuel gauge, "temp/fasten seat belt" lights, gear indicator, is the areas I am referring to. Maybe it changed on the 73 Electras. I know the 72 LeSabres, Centurions and Estate Wagons have a cluster like "73Electras" Electra and the one posted on E-Bay.

Guest Shaffer

I have a photo of the guage cluster in my old 72 Electra, but I do not know how to post it here and it is a little too dark to see the woodgrain accents.

Guest Shaffer

I think the guage cluster got a total redesign in 1974 on the Buicks. I know that Pontiac and Chevrolet stayed basically the same in 1974. Not sure about Oldsmobile and I think Cadillac got a total dash redesign in 1974. Odd, but Lincoln kept the same basic dash design from 1970-1977 on the Continentals, but it was very advanced for a 1970 car, which may be why it lasted for 8 years.

I wonder if anyone has ever made a coffee table book or some other documentation of different dashboard designs. Other than the engine I've always found dashboads the most interesting thing about old cars.