Instrument Panel out

yuk123

I have a none functioning instrument panel, except it illuminates when the lights are turned on. No speedometer, no gas gauge, no temp gauge, no rmp, etc.etc.

1990 Chrysler TC, V6, 3l. O/W there car drives without problems. Any idea where the problem might be.

• 2 weeks later...

See if somebody has the service manual, and find a good mechanic there. The factory manual is quite well done and someone with a functioning brain should be able to figure it out. I would check the fuses first. I have read and reread every post multiple times on about 5 forums and have never heard of everything going out. I know of one person that would be glad to fix it for transportation and room and board next summer (ME!!!). I could do extensive test drives since I have contacts for free room and board in Belgium, London and Budapest. Seriously I wish you luck.

Just did a search of Yahooo Group for Chryslers. Hope this helps.

The group is:http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChryslerLeBaron/message/8347

Date: Thu Feb 6, 2003 9:36 am

Subject: Re: Electrical System Failure?

On the instrument cluster intermittant:

While you didn't say if it has the conventional or electronic

instrument cluster, in either case there is either a loose ground

connection or a 12V supply problem to the cluster. I would suspect the

ground connection first as that is simply a wire held to the

instrument panel's support by a screw, which might have loodened up.

You'll need to remove the paneling under the dash and look for a black

wire that is simply secured to the support or the cowl with a screw

and tighten that screw. Otherwise, it means checking the wire that

supplies voltage for the cluster, but that arrives via the plug-in to

the cluster and is a bit more comples to trace.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi again, still haven't solved the proplem. I related your [color:"blue"] recommendation to the mechanic in Zurich. Before he get's started he would like me to help him to find a map showing the electric wire set up of the dash board and ignition connections.This will make it easier for him to trace the wires. I am hungry for any advice.

I picked up one more bit of info on the instruments. There are two sets of wires set in plastic that flex. Sometimes the solder connections from the circuit board to the wires goes bad and need to be resoldered. From what I have read since your first post, you most likely just have a bad ground connection. As long as the panel is going to be out, the odometer gears all go bad. You might as sell get a new set of gears and replace them also. The links for buying the gears and installing are.http://www.backesfamily.com/TCProjects/

and http://www.odometergears.com/

It might be a good idea to call a salvage yard here and get a replacement unit from a similar chrysler dodge and send it to the mechanic so he can see the unit as he reads the directions. This "practice" unit has different colors but should relieve his anxiety about going into uncharted waters on a customer's car.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the help info. I am going to Zurich and relate this to the mechanic , hopefully one day I have the problem solved. I can offer your room and board in Zurich if the fail. You need to take care of the airfare though.

• 4 weeks later...

After the mechanics failed to make progress I went ahead and changed the fuse. I had a hard time believeing it but the dash functions all returned. Now it indicates that the ABS system of the brakes need to bee checked. Sorry to you all that I haven't done this before.