Sportwagon number decoding-Help

I need help decoding my 1964 sportwagon cowl tag and door tag. It read as follows<BR>STYLE 64-4365 FB 1088<BR>TRIM 174<BR>ACC EXGF-2KPR-3V 4FU-SW 5W<BR> The door tag is 3K1134606<BR>What I do know is only about 4 thousand of these were built in 64. This wagon is highly optioned and has some very weird/yet to be explained quirks, such as additional lower door chrome and a flipdown gas door in the rear bumper (but the gas door is actually located on the rear quarter panel!) any help greatly appreciated. Greg

I thought about this too initially. But have since learned that the bumper is wagon exclusive and not the same as Skylark. My current thought is that at one point GM thought about locating the filler behind the bumper but moved it late in the design process. This car is a first year (early production?) vehicle. The 65's I have seen do not have bumper hole or flip down plate-Greg

Guest John Chapman

Greg,<P>Your cowl and door tags decode like this:<P>3K1134606:<BR>First place = Series, 3 is Skylark V8<BR>Second place = Year, K is 1964<BR>Third place = Assembly Plant, 1 is Flint, MI<BR>Last six places = basic production number starting at 001001 for each assembly plant.<P>Style 64-4365 FB 1088<BR>64 = Model year<BR>4365 = Buick (4); Skylark Series (3); Style(65) Sportwagon Custom 3 seat<P>FB= Fisher Body, Flint Assembly Plant. The 'Extended Special Series Wagons' were built only at Flint and Fremont, CA plants according to the Assembly Manual.<P>1088=unit production sequence<P>Trim 174 = Skylark White Vinyl. This is a discrepancy with my documentation which breaks out Sportwagon trim separately and only shows trim codes of 028 (Black), 021 (Blue); 027 (Red), and 029 (Saddle). These codes are consistent with the Special trim codes, all begining in '0'. I suspect the ID book is incorrect.<P>Paint is missing in your list. They are:<P>A - Regal Black<BR>C - Arctic White<BR>D - Silver Cloud<BR>F - Marlin Blue<BR>H - Wedgewood Blue<BR>J - Surf Green<BR>K - Sunburst Yellow<BR>L - Claret Mist<BR>N - Coral Mist<BR>P - Teal Mist<BR>R - Desert Beige<BR>S - Bronze Mist<BR>T - Tawny Mist<BR>V - Granada Red<BR>W - Diplomat Blue.<P>Not all are Skylark colors. Double letters indicate two tone color, or solid color cars frequently with two tone (e.g. CC, for white over white)<P>ACC EXGF etc. is the Accessory Code and to my knowledge, there is no known accurate decode source for these.<P>I happen to have a 1964 Special/Skylark Assembly manual. Drawing, P/N 1362385, "Rear Bumper and Backup Lamp Installation -- Estate Wagon Only" clearly shows the wagon bumper, P/N 380835, with a solid license plate mount and no flip down door. My guesses as to how yours differs are:<P>-- new supplier using slightly different design<P>-- steel blanks for rear bumpers were the same except for the stamping and some non-wagon ones got pressed as wagon bumpers.<P>-- spring license plate holder was fitted later<P>-- bumper possibly interchanges with another GM car, like Ponitac or Olds<P>One of life's enduring mysteries, like how does a thermos know to keep hot things hot and cold things cold?<P>Cheers,<BR>JMC<p>[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: John Chapman ]

Thanks John-Great info. Am I to assume that the Skylark production was not separated from the sport wagon numbers? I thought only about 4000 of the wagons were produced the first year, but the way I read your code decifering that number is alot higher. BTW this wagon has the following: power seat, PW, PS, remote mirror, AC, clock, vaccumn locks, third seat, vista visors,roof rack, along with a black exterior and a white interior with black floral bands on the seat backs and door panels. It originally had the aluminum intake/heads 4bbl 300 V8 as well. Thanks again, Greg

Guest John Chapman

Greg,<P>Model designation (4365) is not given a discrete VIN. It just gets what the next number in the assembly line sequence happens to be.<P>According to the 'Standard Catalog of Buick: 1903-2000', the Sportwagon was introduced at mid-year as a longer wheelbase version of the basic wagon in Standard (Skylark 4300 series) and Custom (4200 series). Custom wagons shared the Skylark interior trim.<P>Production Numbers Listed:<BR>4265 Cust. Sta Wagon - 3S: 2,586<BR>4255 Cust. Sta Wagon - 2S: 2,709<BR>4365 Sta. Wagon - 3S: 4,446<BR>4355 Sta. Wagon - 2S: 3,913<P>Cheers,<BR>John

If you ask me...it sounds like you got an early production wagon....a Flint one no less...I was not aware they were built in just the 2 plants....The bumper to the best of my knowledge based on 66-7 is the bump is shared with the Vista Cruiser....the floral bands on the seat(die electrically sewn in I bet) sounds like the ones on my 67 I had...a 3 seater too....great car you have with some rare options to boot....Lucky you!!!<P><BR> don55