Underbody Color

59chevyguy

This is my first Post and I hope to have my car ready for next Octobers National and try to earn a 1st Junior National Award.

When my car body was restored (I bought it that way) they painted the underbody same as the outside body color. It came from the factory with red oxide.

My question, how many points, if any, will I loose??

Thanks,

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">59 chevrolet Impala Convertible

Steven </div></div>

From the factory (absent any undercoating) '59 Chevy's were primed all over in red oxide, then the exterior of the body painted by hand-held spray guns, with the body mounted on a rolling cart, about a foot or so above the floor surface.

The painters simply bent down, and ran the spray guns along the bottom edge of the rocker panels and lower part of the firewall, which resulted in about 6-8" of body color overspray along the outer and front edges of the floor/toeboard pan. This was, of course, done in the Fisher Body Plant, ajacent to, or upstairs from, the assembly line, before the body was assembled to the chassis.

(A model car builder researches this sort of thing!)

Art