drop spindles or coil chopping???

Does anyone know how much u can chop out of a front coil spring (63 wildcat) before alignment is immpossible, i heard about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Or will i have to search for dropped spindles?

I think you have the right idea, i wouldn't lower it more than 2 inches in the springs. The camber will have to be adjusted to compensate by adding shims. Often old cars will need extra shims to be in alignment because the frame will sag with age. Their is a point where correction is no longer possible and tire life will be reduced. <P>If your car has original springs it probably is already 1- 1.5 inches below stock ride height due to the age of the springs. I like the look, but I have had problems with the driveshaft rubbing the tunnel and the front suspension bottoming out on the bumpers. <P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riv

I highly suspect there are no dropped spindles for those cars. Nor should yours be modified to such a situation either.<P>The springs could well be in a state of sag (as mentioned) from their design ride height already.<P>Why not get some new springs to put things back where they need to be and then cut them. The 1.0"-1.5" drop from factory ride height is pretty accurate. Past that the shim stack to get the alignment "close" would be too much.<P>The other "time honored" alternative method to cutting is to heat a section of the spring with a torch, let the car "drop", and then take the heat away. This method takes a highly experienced practitioner in knowing how much heat is needed--plus not setting everything else on fire in the process. It's benefit is not having to disassemble the front end to get the spring out as everything happens "on the car".<P>Perhaps you could find a spring from Eibach that will drop the car the 1" or so and have sufficient stiffness to decrease bottoming out?<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467