Point Spread

Olds 442

An observation from my many years in this hobby both as a judge and an exhibitor.

Owner restorations when done with skill and care are often superior to the work of professional restorers. Some pros are VERY good while others do it only well enough to get by and get paid. Owners have the time and personal desire, as you and your dad do, to make the vehicle as perfect as possible. A pro may have the same desire but it is often not economically practical to nit pick every little detail to perfection. Often a pro utilizes employeed help and they just don't have the same dedication to the vehicle as the owner.

I suppose what I am trying to say is DON'T SELL THE OWNER RESTORATIONS SHORT. They can outdo the pros. smile.gif

hvs

You're right Howard. Being that my dad and I do the stuff ourselves on a shoestring budget and win the awards we've won has been very gratifying. I know our cars could be nicer if we could only find the parts. But on the other hand, the points spread sometimes hurts us (especially the 5 point AGNM).

Personally I'd like to see the HPOF certified cars be eligible for 1st Juniors, Seniors, and AGNM awards as long as they meet the minimum required points moreso than the restored cars. I firmly believe that if a car is in its' original condition, and meets the required points, the 10 point rule should be ignored if the car is that good.

A good example is my father's best friend (Peter Heizmann has met him). This guy has a '62 Impala SS that he bought brand new, it is all original to include the window sticker, but it shows the age of being 42 years old. Would it be good enough to score a 365? YES!! Would it be good enough to go against the same car that is freshly restored and still win?? NO!! Being a straight, clean untouched car shouldn't have to worry about the 10 point spread because this car has been taken care of. Not neglected and later restored. This car doesn't justify the need to be restored.