Sign in to follow this  
Guest imported_CarFreak

"All Original Unrestored" ??

Guest imported_CarFreak

I just returned from Hershey and have a question.

When I see the cars at the Kruse Auction in Auburn advertised as "original unrestored" or more particularly "original paint" I laugh and walk by. I have grown to expect it there - a bunch of antique car dealers waiting to pounce on the naive person who doesn't know.

BUT when I go to Hershey and see the multitude of cars in the car show and car corral also noted as "original paint" - that is irritating - do the members and judges not know or realize that the majority of these statements are untrue? Are these car owners sold a b.s. story when they bought their cars and honestly don't know or just trying to pull the wool over everyone's face? I thought that the AACA members were better than that. Many of the cars were very obviously repainted, rechromed, etc.

THEN the ultimate was visiting the new AACA Museum for the first time and seeing a car on display noted as "3,000 miles" - "original paint" makes me very upset. This car had obviously been repainted on the hood and decklid area as a minimum (based on how the car was displayed I could not get a good look of the sides). This is a disgrace!

Someone mentioned to me that perhaps some of these owners are regarding "original paint" to mean the same color as when the car was new. Nice thought but I spoke directly with one of the owners of a car noted as "all original" and asked him specifically if his car had been repainted. He told me emphatically NO - that was factory original paint. Yet you could clearly see that both rear fenders and other areas of his car had been repainted - tell tale paint on the fender welt was apparent, etc etc.

True unrestored cars are a treasure. I agree with what one member told a spectator at the show Saturday. The difference between his unrestored car and the restored car is that with a checkbook he could restore his car and make it look like the others on the show field but the owner of a restored car can not make it original, unrestored again.

How do other members feel regarding this misrepresentation?

Guest my3buicks

I agree tha many cars/people that say original are not, I noted/was surprised by even in the HPOF class how many of those cars had been painted. Sat mine in the HPOF class, it is original paint!!!

Guest imported_CarFreak

There were a couple guys commenting on the wonderful original chrome & paint on a car that we were all looking at. I commented that the bumpers were rechromed and they did not believe me until they looked on the bottom edges for evident marks. I bet one guy $10 (shook hands), agreed that it was rechromed and then he didn't even pay!

For a car to be in HPOF, it DOES NOT have to be 100% untouched and original. The evaluation team will determine if sufficient areas are original for the vehicle to be certified. I saw several oldies that were obviously all original. It is more likely that one of newer HOPF entries will have been worked on, but I have seen 60 year old repaint work passed of as original.

One thing to keep in mind is that a car may be entered in HPOF if it meets the age criteria. After that it is up to the owner to be honest and knowledgable enough to represent it correctly. If not, hopefully the judges will knock it down and not certify it.

So far, that is the best that can be done. Maybe HPOF should have to be handled like the race car class. The vehicles would have to be certified BEFORE they can be entered in a show. However, I don't see that happening.

hvs

Guest imported_CarFreak

When making my original post, my thoughts were that there are owners promoting their cars at the show and in the car corral (and at the AACA Museum) as "original paint" or "unrestored". I have been in the car hobby over 20 years and think that I have developed a good eye in spotting a car that has been repainted, rechromed, etc.

I did not even consider the HPOF class in my thoughts when I made the original post.

I did seem some nice original cars and they were most likely NOT the ones advertising this fact (that they are original unrestored). Trying to make a point that some AACA members seem no better than the wheeler-dealer sleazy car sellers that I observe at the auctions. What is the difference if a car owner lies about the condition of his car or a dealer lying about a car he is selling?

Semantics is a big thing in AACA, personally I never had the free time to worry about it. confused.gif