Electra Speedometer

kilkm

A couple of days ago while driving my 62 Electra Convertible home from a show the speedometer started bouncing around erratically then locked all the way to the right past 120. I had to drive it home with the safety buzzer squealing. I disconnected the cable at the transmission and at the speedometer and spun it with a drill. Cable turns fine in both directions so I assume the speedometer unit itself is messed up. Anyone know how to fix this or where I could get the unit rebuilt? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If, during the needle variations, there was a slight scraping noise coming from the general area of the speedometer head, it's probably the bushing in the back of the speedometer head that has worn and let the two speed cups contact each other. The cable runs one with the magnet in it and it spins inside the other cup that is attached to the needle. A clockspring is attached to the speedometer needle's shaft that returns it to zero. If the clockspring was not damaged, the needle should have returned to zero when the cable was turned backwards or if the instrument panel was "jarred" lightly. Still, it sounds like there should have been some noise during the failure mode. In any event, you'll need to find a speedometer shop to get it checked out and the calibration checked afterward. Perhaps there are some members in your area that would have a recommendation for a speedometer shop that can do the work.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467