Special tool to replacing throwout bear??

I called my mechaninc and made appointment to replace throw out bearing in my 58. Dont have time to do it myself never home. He said he may not be able to do it because some of these cars took a special tool to work on the clutch???? Anyone know anything about this? Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks Sid Rollings (cant get logged on today for some reason. confused.gif" border="0

Shouldn't need a tool but don't know much about the '58, and I don't have a shop manual for one either!Here's the secert: you fill the hole full of grease and then find a utensil, wood, or otherwise that fits in the hole where the input shaft goes and hit it with a hammer, and the grease will hydraulically release the bushing, may have to hit it a few times. To get it to release. Hope that helps. RV

Sid, if you are talking throw out bearing, versus, bushing in the crank, then that's a different story, the throw out bearing is loose on the input shaft of the trans, so I don't know what kinda story you are getting, but this "mechanic" may be clueless to your requirement. I would recommend you contact Bill Schoening, on the tech advisor page for '58 Buicks, his email is: schoen@noao.edu<BR>RV

Thanks Roberta I do have a service manual and will look at it (Massive brain fart there sorry) Maybe the mechanic was talking about something needed to replace the clutch thanks again.

Is my brain fuzzy or do you Yanks have something different down there. I thought all 58 Buicks were automatics. Therefore they do not have clutch release bearings (throwout)???<BR>Happy Hobbying