Looking for armoured Grosser Mercedes Benz 770k convertible

Mika Jaakkola

Guest Chuck Conrad

I believe there used to be one at the Larz Anderson Museum in Boston, back in the 1960's. Is it still there? If not, does anyone know where it is now?

The Mannerhiem 770K was owned by General William Lyon in Trabuco Canyon, California, the last I knew, and he was having restoration work done on the car. I assume that he still owns it, he has never listed it in the CCCA roster. The general owns several big MBs, a special coupe and a special roadster, a 770K Cab B and a G4 that I can think of. I believe it was in the Imperial Palace collection, like most of the world's surviving 770s, but Gen Lyon has owned it for a few years. The car from Norway is a fabulous original car and went from the Crawford museum to the Bahre Collection in Maine. The story of the Mannerheim car is well documented by Jan Melin in his book on Superchaged MBs in the Nordic countries in Swedish. It would be great to one day see the Mannerheim cad reunited in Finland with the Packard 12 that was its original stablemate. Hope this helps. Dave Mitchell packard12@netexpress.net