A sad day in the midwest

Greg Sealock

Today I felt like I was kicked in the gut! While taking a load of scrap to a local scrap yard, I observed an elderly couple pull in with a '53 Buick Special two door hard-top on a trailer. The hood was gone and the windshield was broke, but all of the other crome was there, the body was fairly solid, and all of the other glass was intact, at the least a solid parts car. The scrap dealer does not allow you to pick parts off of cars. The cars are instantly crushed,stacked, and then run through the shredder. I attempted to buy the car from the scrap yard, but they claimed that they were not"licensed" to sell vehicles, that it would be crushed. What a shame! They pay $65 a ton for vehicles, so at roughly 3700lbs, the guy crushed a true gem for under $130.00. My only regret is that I wasn't out the front gate 5 minuters earlier, and observed the guy on the road so that I could have saved her.

What a truly sad day for old Buick lovers!

Since the dramatic rise in steel cost the past 6 months thousands and thousands of older vehicles have been cleaned up or out of junkyards. I was told that two Midwest yards crushed over 7,000 vehicles combined. I believe that the Old Cars Weekly magazine reported a few months back that 15 or 20 thousand vehicles may have been lost this past year already.

Guest Mr. Solutions

What can we do??? A realistic question...

Maybe we can start taking better care of what we already have!! Now I'm sure that most of us already do do so, but I can't help asking the question "how did so many cars end up in the condition that they are"? (As per the example in this thread)

Don't worry, no answers required - more of a hypothetical question..., but it DOES make one think.