Looking for Grosser Mercedes owned by Marshal Mannerheim

Mika Jaakkola

Guys,

I think, that if someone could help us finns out, it's you guys.

We are trying to locate this Carl Gustav Mannerheim's Mercedes Benz 770 Cabriolet, that he got as a birthday(?) present from ADolf Hitler during the IIWW.

mb1.jpg

After the IIWW it was first sold to Sweden and then to US. It played the main role as a Hitlers car in movie called Rommel - Desert Fox published in 1951.

Read the story, and there's also pictures:

http://www.mannerheim.fi/13_erity/e_auto2.htm

Someone suspects, that it's this car titled as a Hitlers Mercedes:

http://gothere.com/mg-world/Museums/imperial.htm

Does anyone have any pictures of this car in Imperial Palace Auto Collection?

Here's also something:

http://www.knddesign.com/atshitler.html

Don't you guys think that we like about that thing, what this car represents politically. NO. We are just curious. CGE Mannerheim was a great man to many finnish people and many old car enthusiasts in Finland would like to know, where this car really is.

So If you have any info, please let me know.

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone havae a picture of this car?

I found also one Grosser from Loudon, New Hampshire, but I doubt that it's not the same car..?

Does anyone have any friends in Imperial Palace Museum? There was one as a A. Hitlers car.. Looking for pictures.

If you know someone who could help, please, let us know.

Guys,

Don't you in AACA have any contacts to Imperial Palace Museum?

They had (I believe) this Mercedes once, but they have sold it after the founder of IPM died.

I guess, even they don't remember where..

Canadian Was Museum has one of Hitler's Mercedes's.

Some book said, that this Mannerheims car was in California in early '80's..? Can anyone confirm this??

Waiting for information..thanks guys!!

Check this link: confused.gif

http://www.frasconabuick.com/html/a_piece_of_automobile_history.html

What's this? to Belgium???

I had some information from finnish Mannerheim Museum, that the car has been restored in US in '90's by a guy, who's name I will get soon.

So there's this "Frascona's Hitler Mercedes", Canadian War Museum car and the one(only one??) that was in Imperial Palace and then the one that has been restored? Or is the restored car same as some other on the list?

So, remember. The car we are looking for is armoured and bullet proof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a Grosser Mercedes convertible sedan just like the one in your picture at the Crawford Auto - Aviation Museum in Cleveland, Ohio for many years. I know it was there in the 1970's through the mid 1990's, but they may have sold it by now. </div></div>

Got a response from there just few minutes ago.:

"The car was used by the Nazi governor of Norway during World War Two, and retained by King Haakon as a personal vehicle, before it eventually found its way to the United States.

To my understanding, it is currently owned by Gary Bahre, the owner of the New Hampshire Speedway."

So that was that one...The same car that is found from Pebble Beach pages:

I1.jpg

• 12 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I wrote a short story on how I saw the car at Frascona Buick, in the early 70’s. I still am confused as to whether it is the car actually labeled and sold more recently. I need to buy the book written about the chase to find it. It was quite a large and scary thing to me, as I was still quite young, maybe 10-12 years old. It looked a bit sinister, all black as I recall, with those thick windows, huge steering wheel and shifter. The shifter really caught my attention next to the windows, as it looked like a truck shifter, as opposed to any previous car I had ever seen. The car really was a tank, albeit, a convertible one, with the weird little seat towards the middle, that I naturally sat on. I did not imagine Hitler in the car, but already knew, the bad history associated with the name. If we would have had cell phones then, I’m sure I would have a selfie of me in the beast. Now, all I have is a small memory of it, but a unique one at that!