Insipid Speed Channel programs

hursst

Maybe I'm an extremist, but I had the displeasure of watching part of a Speed Channel show called "Drive Shaft" that was on tonight (Wed) at 9PM. It's a rip-off of "Monster Garage" except they take a couple of suckers with classic cars (usually kids that inherited their grandfather's cars) give them a couple lousy prizes, and their classic car is blatantly destroyed and turned into a monster truck or a mudbogger. From the 2 shows I've seen the beginnings of, they've destroyed a 71 Lincoln Mk III, 65 Thunderbird, 67 Riviera, and 77 Oldsmobile.

Again, I know it's just a TV show, and I may be the only one who thinks this is a disgrace, but I must have some friends in the AACA that feel the same way I do about the continued destruction of classic cars on Speed Channel for comedic effect, mostly. As a classic car enthusiast, I'm disgusted, and would like to ask other AACA members to wrtie to Speed as I have, and voice disgust as well. Surely Speed viewers are car enthusiasts, and don't enjoy seeing classics destroyed purposely. Thanks for reading my post...

Guest De Soto Frank

"Stupid is as stupid does, Cap'n Dan..."

( I don't like it either; just what the world needs: more "reality"shows...I get enough reality going to work everday; don't need to see it on the small screen !)

TNN (ne SpikeTV) has been doing the same thing for years. Until people begin to appreciate the loss of history that these cars represent it'll never stop.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Making that happen <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> be our job!</span> Instead our cars hide in garages, trailers, and invite-only events most of the time. frown.gif

People need to be happy! laugh.gif For a while anyway. crazy.gif

Just say goodbye! frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From the 2 shows I've seen the beginnings of, they've destroyed a 71 Lincoln Mk III, 65 Thunderbird, 67 Riviera, and 77 Oldsmobile.

</div></div>

Sorry, can't get too worked up over the above mentioned vehicles, they were all bought new as tow cars for true Classics and Antiques.

I haven't seen this show (Drive Shaft) yet but I am going to watch it so I can contact Speed Channel and voice my displeasure and concern about this show. I am also no fan of Monster Garage. In one episode I saw a very nice (original) '69 ot 70 El Camino completely destroyed by Jesse James. He then showed it to the owner who had preserved this very nice car, and thought it was very funny when the owner reacted to the carnage. Hurrst I completely agree with you, and I hope other AACA members will contact Speed Channel and voice their disgust of these programs.

Woody Michel

Ugh, Speed Channel has the worst programming for car guys--ever! <span style="font-style: italic">Next up, NASCAR Insider, followed by NASCAR Outsider and later... NASCAR Garage and NASCAR Week in Review. After that, don't miss the call-in radio show which we broadcast on TV so you can actually <span style="font-weight: bold">watch the host's mouth move</span> as he talks about NASCAR!</span> Exciting!

I had such high hopes when they switched names, but the overwhelming NASCAR coverage just stinks. How much NASCAR is enough? I know it's popular, but come <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">on!</span></span> Call it the NASCAR channel if you must, but don't mislead me into thinking it covers other "speedy" stuff, too.

And on topic--I'm not really shedding any tears for a '77 Olds. Maybe the Mark III. <span style="font-style: italic">Maybe.</span>