Buick Blackhawk 455 fuel injection

Hello everyone,this a great site. My problem is that I have a 1980 Rover SD1 that comes with the Buick 215 and I just installed a Buick 455 perfect fit. Now I want to make it smog legal and would like the fuel injection to one on the Blackhawk or other would be fine thanks.

If you didn't check with the CARB or DMV regarding "earlier engines in later model chassis" vehicles, you probably should have. To do a port injection on a Buick engine will require many things which will probably need to be sourced from the aftermarket fuel injection people and will not be cheap. <P>The easiest thing would be to put a Holley 4bbl TBI setup on it, then add the bungs to the lead pipes (below the exhaust manifold flange) to mount the two oxygen sensors (Holley has an extra add-on kit to make the system a "feedback loop" as the factory systems are, but not at full throttle, which you'll have to tune the free-standing computer for yourself). Of course, two approved converters (each sized to about 250 cubic inch motors, but with the 2.5" or so pipe size to match the lead pipes--each converter will see 1/2 of the engine displacement, hence the 250 CID size converters) will need to be in place, hopefully in the stock location and with appropriate heat shielding. With the Holley system, you can use a regular intake manifold to suit your purposes.<P>Edlebrock has a port injection system for Chevrolet and other motors that could be adapted to your Buick engine. You can check that out at their website <A HREF="http://www.edlebrock.com" TARGET=_blank>www.edlebrock.com</A> and you can check out the Holley stuff at their <A HREF="http://www.holley.com" TARGET=_blank>www.holley.com</A> website.<P>Or you could get someone like Rance Fuel Injection to custom build you a set up. Just depends on what you want to pay for (the options listed from least expensive to most expensive).<P>Several years ago, Hot Rod magazine focused on the engine/chassis issue. If an inspection station "challenges" your vehicle, then you have to get it tested to verify compliance. As this is not a production-based system you'll be dealing with, you'll probably have to get it tested at an approved test station before it'll be "road legal".<P>This does sound like a very interesting swap, though. I wish you luck and will be curious how it all lays out.<P>Have you also done similar "beef-ups" for the transmission and related power train components too?<P>Roberta ("Buick Racer" and forum moderator) might be able to get you some "inside" information on the specifics of the Blackhawk system. Key thing is to consider all of your options and how they fit your wallet.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467