Freeze plug

Dani

I've tried the auto parts stores but they only have ones that are slightly larger or slightly smaller, nothing that is a match. I would use those rubber expansion plugs but they will never fit with the waterpump mounting right there-no clearance. This stupid little plug is the only thing that keeps my Buick from being on the road again in 27 years!

Guest imported_NikeAjax

When I had new bearings put into my cam for my '56, the guy doing the work couldn't find the right sized plugs, so he tapped the holes and put in a threaded plug. No problems on my end, and only Superman would know (X-ray vision)!

Just an option and thought,

Jaybird

The size is just a little larger then 1 3/8, and smaller then 1 5/16-no happy medium. I have no tap that big, and I'm quickly running out of ideas. The closest I've come was a plug out of an L4 Mazda engine but it was again too small. The old plug was fine, but by reading that CARS sold sets enough to rebuild the ENTIRE engine I removed it and it was destroyed in the process, would have left it in if I would have known that these are so hard to come by...THEN after my first purchased kit-I thought I misplaced the plug somehow and ordered another kit..UGH!!

I'll check it out. This is a man who used to run a garage in the residential neighborhood where I used to live. He has a lot of stuff around, but I've been gone 7 years now and when we passed by last weekend the place did look very overgrown. As soon as I find out he is still okay, I'll contact him with this size and see if he has any.