In 2003 I'll be 50 - What is the perfect gift? (Read)

TomE_1953

Yep, I was born in 1953 and next year I'll be the big 5-0. So I started to think what present would make a perfect gift. I was going to take a nice cruise but that would be over in a week and a big wait of money. Hmmm, GOT IT! 'She' is in my garage right now - a 1953 Buick Roadmaster. I did a search on the Internet for '1953 Car' and up popped this mint beauty in Spokane, WA. I flew up last year bought her and drove her 1,800 miles back to Kansas City without any problems! She cruised 75-80 mph and I met some fantastic people along the way who had their own '1953 Buick story' to share.<BR>I made reservations for the big 100th Buick party up in Flint, MI in 2003 and driving her up to celebrate our 'birthday'.<P>Just wanted to see if anybody else out there has a similar story.<P>Tom<BR>Kansas City grin.gif" border="0

Tom, you and I think alike. I was also born in 1953, and will turn 50 during the summer of 2003. My birthday present will be the trip to Flint. I sure can't think of a better present than that. No, I am not fortunate enough to own Buick's Golden Anniversary 1953 model, but I'll be perfectly happy cruising across the country in my 1959 Electra. I'm looking forward to the trip of a lifetime.

Make your hotel Reservations soon, as they say that this is a BIG one! Let me know if you need a suggestion on where to stay, suggest the Holiday Inn or the Courtyard at the Gateway area or the Americinn across the street all about 7 miles from the show. and .8 mile from my house! See ya. RV

Make your hotel Reservations soon, as they say that this is a BIG one! Let me know if you need a suggestion on where to stay, suggest the Holiday Inn or the Courtyard at the Gateway area or the Americinn across the street all about 7 miles from the show. and .8 mile from my house! See ya. RV

Well Roberta I'd just like to say the Buicks you own are probably the exact Buicks I'd have too. Ever since I bought my Skylark a few years ago I've been a die hard Buick fan and I hope to own many of them in the future. Oh and when exactly is this 100th anniversary in Flint? I may have to take the Buick up there grin.gif" border="0

I was born in October 1953 so I will be 50 also in 2003. <P>I wonder if Centurion's and my 50th Birthday has anything to do with volunteering to organized Caravan's to Flint from the Northwest and the Northeast?<P>After my birth at the local hospital I was brought home in my parent's 1953 Special two tone gray with cream top, 2 door Sedan with a red cloth interior. We had that car until 1958 when my father traded it for a 1958 Chevrolet Brookwood 4 door wagon since he was building a house, with another child on the way, he felt he could not afford a Buick wagon. <P>My maternal grandfather "Pepere", however, was driving his first new car after WWII, a 1950 Special 4 door sedan, soon to be replaced by a 1956 Super 4 door Riviera hardtop, followed by a 1963 Electra 4 door hardtop. The remaining Buicks he owned do not deserve mentioning here since they were not Buicks but things GM assembled from the parts bins!<P>Shortly after graduating from high school in 1971, I was given my first Hemmings by my insurance agent who collected cars. In it for sale for $3000 (a princely sum when you were going to college back then) was a beautiful California 1953 Skylark convertible. I believe it was the Owen Owens car written up as a feature story car in Motor Trend in 1971. I never knew about the 53 Skylark until I saw that Hemmings and Motor Trend article. I still have both packed away somewhere.<P>Ever since I knew about the 1953 Skylark I have wanted one. Later I found out about the 1954 Skylark when I saw one at an antique auto auction in the mid seventies. I have always prefered the 1953 Skylark over the 1954 since it was built on the Roadmaster chassis and the 1954 was built on the Century chassis. Both front ends have beautiful styling but I prefer the 53 rear end styling over the 54.<P>I have collected 1953 sales brochures, 1953 Skylark Avon bottle, and the 1953 Skylark Danbury mint car but never the real thing.<P>In 1984 I bought my first collectible antique auto a 1939 Special Sport Coupe with opera seats Model 46-S, which I still own today and will caravan to Flint with in 2003. <P>I was supposed to be buying a 1953 Skylark or Buick rumble seat coupe, roadster, or cabriolet from 1929 to 1932 none of which I have ever owned.<P>Except in 2001, about a year ago, I invested in, and hold the title to a 1953 Mandarin red Skylark that needs to be finished and sold. It is purely an investment and not a keeper.<P>What is the perfect gift for me?<P>A 1953 Skylark convertible I can call my own.<p>[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: Marc Brouillette ]

To Marc Brouillette,<P>Like you, I have always wanted a Skylark. I also graduated from high school in 1971, and, when I went away to college, I had the color photo of the Owen Owens '53 Skylark (from the "Motor Trend" article) proudly displayed on the bulletin board above my desk. I still have that article!<P>A few years later, a '54 Skylark became available, but, as a graduate student with limited resources, I had to pass it up. In the summer of 1978, I had the privilege of sitting in a completely original, one owner '54 Skylark in my hometown. The owner was unwilling to sell, and, when he eventually decided to sell the car, the price was so steep that it was well beyond my grasp. Within the last decade, it eventually sold to a collector in Salt Lake City, and my Skylark dreams went with it.<P>Here's a thought for Tom and Marc. We should seek out Tom's '53 Roadmaster (Annie) in Flint, and somehow collectively celebrate our milestone birthdays! What better way than to celebrate Buick's 100th and the golden anniversary of Buick's golden anniversary models!<P>Brian Laurance, BCA#5168<P>1959 Electra (remembered from childhood and acquired from original owner in my hometown)<BR>1971 Centurion (my parents purchased new during my senior year of high school)<BR>1989 LeSabre (my mother's final car)

All you guys talking about your 50th year birthday. <BR>WOW Here I am with my first restoration job<BR>a 1956 Buick, and you guya REALLY make this<BR>66 year old guy feel like an "OLD FART"<BR>Thanks guys. hehehe Loren

ROBERTA I JUST READ THAT THE 2003 NATIONALS ARE .8 MILES FROM YOUR HOUSE! DOES THAT MEAN THAT THE MASSACHUSETTS MANIACS ARE INVITED TO PARTY AT YOUR HABITAT? WE'LL BE THERE WITH THE'66CATGS

John (CAT66GS),<P>Roberta's house is .8 miles from 3 hotels which are 7 miles from the Convention Center where the 2003 show and other activities will be.<P>The Reatta Division and Minuteman Chapter hotels are also around 7 miles from downtown Flint.<P>Marc<p>[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: Marc Brouillette ]

Tom and Brian (Centurion),<P>Yes, lets get together in Flint with Tom's 1953 Roadmaster Sedan to celebrate our 50th year with a photo op!<P>Marc

The "Members' Photos" link on the BCA's home page brings up photos of many cars owned by BCA members. Among these photos is one showing Tom Heimerman of Shoreview, Minnesota with his '53 Buick Super 2-door Riviera. In his comments, Tom notes that he was also "manufactured in 1953". Hmmm . . . wonder if this guy and his Buick will be in Flint? We might have to look him up in the roster and drop him a line, inviting him to the party!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest krauseheim

Hi there, Centurian. I'm that born-in-'53 Tom Heimerman guy you mentioned. Tom Edmondson dropped me an email telling me abou this forum...thanks, Tom. If I can get my '53 Super 2-door hardtop running by next year, I'm goin' to Flint, man, with the rest of you Old Farts. Thing is, my car hasn't run since 1998, when I jacked it up two feet onto car stands and proceeded to remove its entire front end and suspension...and radiator, and carburetor, and brakes, and procurred all new stuff to replace it. I still have the new stuff, but not too much of it is on the car yet. Four years later, I can't remember how this stuff goes back together, and I also read, elsewhere in this forum, about all the horrible things that have happened to my car while it's sat idle in my tropical Minnesota garage all this time. So...wish me luck.<P>Tom Heimerman<BR>Shoreview, Minnesota<BR>BCA Member 3????<BR>'53 Buick Model 56R

I hope you won't find this heresy but the perfect gift for someone turning 50 in 2003 is.......... A 50th Anniversary Edition of the Corvette! The Corvette was also born in 1953 and the C5 version is the best Vette ever! v There will be a special edition of the Corvette with some unique markings and paint to celebrate.<P>While I am a few years beyond 50, my Chevy dealer has my deposit.<P>Still love my 64 LeSabre convertible though.

krauseheim, <P>It's great to see you on here. I hope that the prospect of the Buick Centennial and your 50th birthday will spur you on to attack that '53 Super with gusto. Would be great to see you and the Buick in Flint next year for the "birthday party". This forum can be a great resource for you as you struggle to figure out how things go back together, so be sure to ask away.

Glad that other "1953 Tom" from Shoreview, MN got in on this posting.<P>Hope you get that 1953 back together for next years run to Flint!<P>I'm driving my 53 Roadmaster up to St. Paul to show my family (they don't have a clue that I have it). Kept this a secret for a whole year. Can't wait to see their faces when I pull up and blow those Buick horns at them! shocked.gif" border="0