Rebuilt QJet

Just thought I would mention that I found a place online selling rebuilt QJets for a good price(80% off sale). Their site now says they are sold out, but I was able to still purchase one over the phone. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does and I put it on, I'll let everyone know how it works out. The carb I bought is for my '73 225 and the price was $59 w/exchange ($40 core). I don't even have to give up my original carb because I have a spare for a '75/'76 that I bought cheap off ebay that can be used for the core. $59 sure seems like a good price to me for a QJet. Here is the site:<P><A HREF="http://www.recarbco.com" TARGET=_blank>Recarbco</A><P>Zach

So tighten down the screws on the air horn and base, if the above applies. I see no reason to open a carb that, accrding the the website, has been tested and calibrated on a running car. Put it on and see what happens. I'm sure it'll be fine.

A bargain is a good thing......when it IS a good thing.<P>When I think of the cost of labor, and the cost of a GOOD carb kit, I can't believe anyone could sell a "rebuilt" carb for $59.<P>Now, maybe these are "old stock" rebuilds that have been on a shelf forever, and the guy is just liquidating the stock. If that's the case, I'd use the money you saved to buy a fire extinguisher and a carb gasket set. (A carb that has spent years on the shelf will often leak fuel, and require "resealing" with NEW gaskets.)<P>A more conservative approach would be to treat the $59 unit as a core, and plan on rebuilding it yourself. Then, for $75-80, you'd have a "good" part and could feel comfortable that it wouldn't leak.<P>Be careful and don't risk losing your car because of a $59 carburetor!

Ok, it came. Good packing job. Looks like they did a good job. Came with a K hanger and CT sec. rods. Better than my L hanger, but I'll swap my better sec. rods that I have in the old one. Here are some pics. Hopefully will put it on this weekend.<P> carb1.jpg <P> carb2.jpg <P> carb3.jpg <P> carb4.jpg<p>[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]

I also have purchased a New Old Stock Q-Jet (not from the same place though).<P>Can you see what the number stamped on the side is? It's just to the right of the casting "Quadrajet" on the secondary body and is stamped sideways. Mine says 9809 but I can't find it in any reference manuals or guides on the net that can decipher it.<P>Does anybody know what model this is from?

The carb they sent me is # 7043240 which I believe does translate to 1973 455 auto. The build code is xxx7, so I believe that means it was made in 1977. I'm not sure if that is the number you are mentioning. You want to look at the longer # to see what application the carb is for.

Okay, so despite the cold weather and random flurry events, I went to do the carb swap yesterday. Everyting went real smooth until I went to remove the PVC hose. 30 years of exposure had petrified it so that it snapped in two. So I had to do a store run to get some new hose and a new PCV valve while I was there. Okay, get that and then the valve wouldn't go in the grommet because it also was 30 years old and had no more give. Had to make a tool using a deep socket, short extension and socket holder and bang it in w/ a hammer. Okay, now everything is together and I go to start it up, and fuel is leaking everywhere. Tighten the fuel line some more and now its just a steady drip. I asked about this over on v8buick about using plumbers tape and got a reply saying not to because the seal is made at the flare and inlet tube. So today I go out and really tighten up the nut and that seemed to seal it good. Went for test drive and I am very happy. NO MORE BOG!! Low throttle acceleration is so much nicer now, clean and strong as well as heavy throttle. Also I was surprised and happy and how much less effort it took to chirp and spin the tires grin.gif" border="0. Best 60 bucks I've spent yet!!