Front Coil Springs

I would like to replace the front coil springs on my '39 model 41 to get a softer ride. Can anyone suggest a coil from a donor car that would fit in place of the old coils?<BR>Thanks for any info.

SOFTER springs ????? shocked.gif" border="0 I used to have a 39 model 41 and that car was as soft as you would want it.<BR>If your car rides hard, something might be wrong with the front suspension or shocks.<P>Vegard<BR>Norwegian BCA member

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

John,<P>Coil Spring Specialties maunfactures new and replacement springs.<P>785/437-2025 St. Mary, KS<BR> <A HREF="http://www.info@coilsprings.com" TARGET=_blank>www.info@coilsprings.com</A> <P>I have bought from for many years with satisfaction.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>Buick Club of America

I agree with Vegard<P>My 39, under restoration, does has not rear shockers fitted and has no oil in the front shockers. Its as soft as ***. Jusy touch the car it sways around as the springs are so soft.<P>Like Vegard I suspect the suspension could be binding or that the shocker absorbers may be at fault. These are more correctly called dampers as they damp out movement from the suspension travel. The springs absorb the shocks from the road (by coiling up) and release that energy by by uncoiling at a rate deterimed by the dampers.<P>Have someone stand on the bumper and then jump off. The car should return to its neutral position after a few small even gyrations. Do at each of the four corners. If the responce is different or is not a smooth responce its likely to be a shock absorber problem.<p>[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: 1939_Buick ]

Guest 70 Electra

Before you buy new coil springs from anyone, determine if they have been heat treated (like factory springs). Many specialty spring places do not do this step.<P>If they are not heat treated, they will settle (sag) a great deal.

Guest tin knocker

John-- Unless you have money to waste do more checking before you order new springs. I have never heard of an older Buick having too stiff of springs. I have friends who replaced springs because they became weaker with age allowing the car to sag, causing handling problems and a terrible ride. I doubt if springs can get stiffer with age. If it is the springs,perhaps someone has replaced the originals to get a firmer ride and went too far, so replacement is neccessary. If they are the originals I am sure the problem is elsewhere. Please let us know how things work out.