Radio crackle (noise)

Phisit

The Radio is making a loud crackling noise from the left speakers. It sounds like a wire is shorting intermittently or something like that. Also, the left speaker is not as loud as the right. I took the rario out to look at the antenae and wiring connection, and everything looked in good order there. Has anyone any experience in this matter?

you may just have speakers that have crapped out on you or maybe the wirings messed up, you could swap speakers side to side and the noise will change sides if its the speaker and shouldnt if its the wiring. does it crackle more when it hit bumps. are you picking up a whine noise?

Thanks for the idea,

It would be nice if it was just the speaker. The noise seems to be intermitant, but the level of sound on the left side is consistently reduced. Do you know if the DelcoBose speakers from an 87 Riviera can be used?

By this time most paper cones will be separating from the housing (at least in Florida. Since the Reattas were made, mylar cones have replaced just about all paper. I would not go through the pain of installing a used speaker just to have it separate shortly.

My Reatta is also a 1990. Adjust the front-rear balance control so the sound is coming out just the rear speaker. If the crackling noise is still there, it is not your front speakers. When I sent mine in, I had them change the belts in the cassette deck while the amplifier module in the radio was replaced. It cost a little more, but a lot less than if you send it in later because the cassette deck failed.

I definitely agree with Padgett on this. I just replaced my speakers in my 89 Reatta and the cones were separated and the paper that once attached them was more or less just dust that disintegrated with touch. I purchased perfect speakers for the doors from http://www.crutchfield.com that matched up perfectly with the original holes. I used Blaupunkt PCx542. Good luck, it will be nice again to listen to clear crisp music again once you change your speakers.

• 7 years later...

Wow these are old posts. ...we'll I have a 1990 convert and I also now have the left side crackling after the radio heats up - I thought it was just in the little tweeter, but realized today it is the entire left channel. I was wondering if it was related to the barrel capacitor problem, but apparently it is different. But if I change the 6? barrel capacitors and the module, I fear that the quality will still be far less than the radios my '95 Riviera and my '98 S-10 pick-up that both have GREAT sounding stock GM radios. Then there is the problem of replacing the speakers with newer lower ohm ratings with ceramic resistors to make up the ohm difference rather than, for example, the 10ohm 4x10's that were in the rear that nobody makes and the originals didn't look that impressive when removed to re-cone. So I'm planning on changing the usual bad radio components (and the tape belts) and add a small amp which wll be hidden in the compartment under the radio on cars without the CD player for at least the rear speakers since if they all were hooked together, I would lose the F/R fade capability. And, we do want to keep Reattas as stock as possible, eh? Ugh! ...at least my antenna works great thanks to Barney Eaton. :-)

Any new thoughts since 2004???

Originality isn't important in this case IMO. You'll never see the speakers, and you'll spend a fortune on trying to find the crappy speakers that they put in the car originally.

I did all of the below on my '90 convertible (sold last summer). It worked great, sounded great, and no need for an external amp.

- Rebuilt radio module (available at my website:1988-1991 Rebuilt radio modules)

- New infinity Kappa 5.25" speakers for the doors (available here: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-529I--Inch-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B00190Z7Z8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328879323&sr=8-1)

New Kenwood 4x10" speakers for the rear (available here: http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-415C-160-Watt-10-Inch-Two-Way/dp/B000687QW6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328879363&sr=1-1)

Well worth the money, and very easy to install all the items in a weekend.

Hope this helps. :)

Wow these are old posts. ...we'll I have a 1990 convert and I also now have the left side crackling after the radio heats up - I thought it was just in the little tweeter, but realized today it is the entire left channel. I was wondering if it was related to the barrel capacitor problem, but apparently it is different. But if I change the 6? barrel capacitors and the module, I fear that the quality will still be far less than the radios my '95 Riviera and my '98 S-10 pick-up that both have GREAT sounding stock GM radios.

The Reattas audio system actually did sound very good when new. And as in most modern systems, there are four amps. However age takes its toll. The capacitor problem is well-known. If you don't want to repair it yourself, send it to someplace like M&R. I had a local stereo repair shop do mine. (Short Circuit in San Jose, Cal.)

Then there is the problem of replacing the speakers with newer lower ohm ratings with ceramic resistors to make up the ohm difference rather than, for example, the 10ohm 4x10's that were in the rear that nobody makes and the originals didn't look that impressive when removed to re-cone. So I'm planning on changing the usual bad radio components (and the tape belts) and add a small amp which wll be hidden in the compartment under the radio on cars without the CD player for at least the rear speakers since if they all were hooked together, I would lose the F/R fade capability. And, we do want to keep Reattas as stock as possible, eh? Ugh! ...at least my antenna works great thanks to Barney Eaton. :-)

Any new thoughts since 2004???

The usual problem with speakers is the foam surround rots with age. In the case of the 4x10s, it is hard to visually examine the surrounds because there is a glued on frame and black cloth cover over the front of the cone. When prying the frame off, you may end up damaging an otherwise good foam surround in the process. If you have access to a test CD, or possibly just use your pod/pad/portable computer, to inject test tones into the system, it is very easy to hear a buzzy speaker.

There are a number of 4x10 choices available around the internet. The original Delcos are 'extended range' speakers - Delcos euphemism for "a whizzer cone instead of a real tweeter". Besides cost savings, I am not sure it is a bad thing. In the convertible, a tweeter would simply fire into the rear of the seat - so isn't really heard anyway. IMO, rear speakers are simply for 'fill' and extending the bass. The front system is where the action is at. So bottom line is that it probably doesn't matter much which 4x10 you put back there. However if I were replacing all four speaker systems, I'd go with the same mfr and compatible speakers in all positions. In my Reatta, I only needed one 4x10. So ended up finding a NOS Delco speaker. It wasn't that expensive. I think about $30. System sounds fine now.

Also, when installing aftermarket speakers, use something like the Metra 72-4500 speaker adapter harness so that you do not need to cut up the Reattas wiring harness. This has the added advantage that it helps keep you from accidentally wiring the speakers out of phase with each other.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

If you live in a metropolitan area, there is usually more than one place that can repair your radio. Try asking the parts department at your GM dealer where they send their radios for repair. Repair prices seem to vary considerably. Some want $150-$200 to repair the late model radio with cassette. Other places are around $100

If you live remote and must send your radio off for repair, I have some shops recommended by other Reatta owners where you could send yours. Someone sent me Precision Radio

in San Antonio (210-979-0905) I recently sent him 3 radios and the price was under $100 each, including return shipping. Some shops are having problems repairing cassettes because of the lack of replacement parts. The San Antonio shop could not repair a '90 CD player because he could not get the needed parts.

The Radio is making a loud crackling noise from the left speakers. It sounds like a wire is shorting intermittently or something like that. Also, the left speaker is not as loud as the right. I took the rario out to look at the antenae and wiring connection, and everything looked in good order there. Has anyone any experience in this matter?

i too have a similiar problem with the crackling.in my 1990 coupe however , the radio will play for about 20-30 minutes ...then the radio just cuts out. it will come back if the car is parked for an hour or two.:)

gryfan

1990 coupe

103,000 miles