Audiophiles, listen up!

RangerRick

Alrighty everyone, RangerRick is back for another go around with the horrid dash of the Reatta.

This time around, I have a pro audio installing friend of mine on my side, and hopefully this will go off with less of a hitch. The plan:

*An Alpine Head Unit

*Orion P6.2 Components for the front

*Orion Coaxials for the rear

*For those of you with the 90's and 91's that have that stupid compartment for storage of nothing, I've removed that and primed the trim for a 5.6" LCD to be the head end for a navigation system.

*Eventually, if deemed necessary, a sub. If I like how it sounds, I'll skip it.

So, this presents the two big questions before I go about ordering things:

1) Has anyone successfully put 6.25 inch components up front where the five and a quarters are designed to fit? Audio guy says it can be made to fit...anyone have experience shaving door openings?

2) Are the Orions/Alpine worth it? Done research on the forum here and came up with many different answers and brand recommendations.

This project is likely to be done in stages, and I'm debating the necessity of rewiring as I type. The point of this is not to build some loud monstrosity, the point is to get a clear, crisp sound which I have come to expect after spending four years perfecting the system which I sit listening to now. Any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

PS - Currently the Reatta (90 CPE) has a Dual Brand Head Unit in it, which I am pleased with but figured at my current financial status I could afford something with a little higher quality electronics and features such as MP3 Playback.

about fitting the 6 ans 1/4ths, anything can fit anywhere if you move it fast enough. alpine headunits are very good, theyre a little sketchy when you mount them vertically but if you give it something other than straight up vertical youd be fine. my headunit is in the centre console under the armrest and my car looks completly stock setup as of now if everythings closed. wiring is never fun but your probably fine if your not throwing in a big amp. i have a small amp on my mids and the regular wiring is fine. i replaced the stock speakers because 2 of the four were shot when i got the car. i used pioneers and sonys and they sound great, the tweeters and speakers make it very very clear. i have another small amp on a pair of 10's but it really isnt necessary, i blew it and for a week just messed with the tuning and it sounded fine. the 88s and 89s have the compartments behind the seats too, i remember seeing someone on cardomain with a music keg in one and a cd changer in the other. if you mount an amp a good place is on the trunk side of the pannel that folds down into the car. theres more great ideas, there were a bunch of posts about radio stuff a few weeks ago, just search it. good luck

6.25's shouldn't be that big of a deal on a '90; I'm running Audiobahn 6.5's and the only issue I had was with the Dynomat taking up space in the hole (very minor prob). I don't think cutting's necessary, but if you're looking for that "finished" look, you might also think of fibreglass smoothing of the inner door's contours, so that you can get a better seal from the mount and bass reflex/sound from the drivers in your 6.25's.

Alpine's cool, if you like the sound... definitely better than your Dual. I've changed to Pioneer for now, as my Sony Minidisk blew a keg one day and I'm debating on whether or not another Sony's going near the car. I love the mini-disk, but wish Sharp, Blaupunkt, Alpine, Mom & Pop was making it instead. I hate Sony's horrid sound curve and poor line voltage / per volume ratings.

I run Audiobahn amps and Subs too (everything but the 6x9's which soon will also be Ab's), and mine is one of the "booming systems". You'll save lots of $$$ and headaches by not going that route. Trying to get high quality with loud noise is a ROYAL PAIN in the tush!!! It can be done, though.

RatReatta, Kris is referring to the storage compartment in the front of the '90s, in the dash, where you have a CRT. I also have a LCD there. Perfect place for one, to tell the truth. The storage placing truly is worthless. Biggest headache about the placement, if you want a truly smooth look, is that someone has to work a fibreglass housing for you that fits your LCD, fits, the available area, has the same mounting platform, and still yet allows access to all of your LCD's I/O ports. Again, a minor problem, once yo get into it.

Let us know how it turns out for you, and if you can, take some "in process" pics too.

I appreciate the info. I had my guy in place to do the work with me but he seems to of fallen off the face of the earth...hmm. After the sound work is done, that leaves the window motor (to be fixed next week) and that screwy climate control unit until I have a (my) perfect Reatta. Superb!

Again, thanks for the info and I will hopefully be able to take some pictures and detail the process.