63 La Sabre 401 4speed q's

I've located what I believe to be a pretty rare find. 63 4dr la sabre with a fac 4sd....The guy whos selling it knows little but says its a 401...it is a two barrel...how do you tell? The casting no on the head1196914j....How do I find out how many were made...<BR>any info would be great! rix@mbharch.com

Yes, definately a RARE car. I have a 63 LeSabre 4 speed coupe and also have been looking for a production figure. I think you can contact the Sloan museum, pay the fee and they can find the production figures. I have heard on only one more 63 four door sedan 4 speed, and I own all the four speed components from it (sadly it was parted, but not by me). As far as the two barrel being original, it most likely is. The 401s came with a two and four barrel carb. Matt

Let me get this straight - you want to know how to tell if it's a 2-bbl? smile.gif" border="0 I believe that all 63 Le Sabre's came with a 401; some with 2-bbl, some with 4-bbl.<P>If you want to verify the engine type, take a look at <A HREF="http://buicks.net/shop/engine_ident.html" TARGET=_blank>http://buicks.net/shop/engine_ident.html</A> . It will show you where the production code is so you can do a positive ID. Take a rag so you can wipe the dirt off the top of the engine. As long as you're looking at engine numbers, look at the serial number as well. You can compare that to the VIN to see if it's the original engine.

Very nice find Rick. All 63 lesabre's had 401 and two barrel carb. <BR> Wildcat and Electra would have the 4 barrel carbs.<BR> 4 speed was an option costing $200-263.<BR> No production figures for 4 speed yet.<BR> Good Luck, Doug BCA# 33850 cool.gif" border="0

Anders, My books say "All LeSabres came with the 280 hp engine" Ha we know how often the books are wrong.<BR> They list no optional engine for the LeSabre.<BR> Do you own a 4-barrel LeSabre of have literature that says its an option.<BR> Just trying to learn more about our beloved Buicks.<BR> I don't find any breakdown for 3-speeds, automatics and 4-speeds yet.<BR> Doug wink.gif" border="0

For what it's worth, my Buick parts book lists a 4-bbl intake manifold for a 63 Le Sabre. It also lists other parts specifically for a Le Sabre with 4-bbl (e.g. throttle operating rod, choke heat pipe, etc.). That would seem to imply that the Le Sabre was available with a 4-bbl.<P>To be honest, I thought that the 2-bbl, low compression 401 was the optional configuration (but I could be wrong).

Guest nailswede

I think that both low compression and 4bbl engine was option..low compresion at no extra costs! I am at work now so i cant check the books..just have my poor memory with me wink.gif" border="0

The Sloan Museum will tell you the following:<BR>4 speeds in 63 Lesabres by model number,<BR>4400-20<BR>4411-26<BR>4435-13<BR>4439-16<BR>4445-4<BR>4447-170<BR>4467-91<BR>total 344 Lesabre 4 speeds in 1963<BR>I did not know there was a model 4400. I don't think there was. They did not list a model 4469, which is a 4dr sedan. Maybe it was a misprint! They also claim that 5746 Lesabres had factory a/c. Hope this helps