Need Help On '66 Riviera Engine Identification

Did 1966 Riviera's come from the factory with different size engines? My owners manual lists only the 425 cid Wildcat 465 engine.<P>The reason I ask is that after checking my engine code it appears that there is a 401 nailhead in my car.<P>This MT designation is the Code for a 401 Nailhead according to information listed on Buick.net.<P>Here is what is stamped on my block:<P>"MT" a space then "270" stamped in smaller numbers/letters than the following code. <P>A space between the 270 and a symbol that looks like a small case "b"; next is "H"; next is the same "b" symbol only upside down followed by "27370".<P>It appears that this is the original factory engine as my vin number is "49876H92730" in which the last 5 digits correspond with the engine id.<P>Any help would be appreciated as I need to do some engine maintenance/repairs etc. and need to know what parts to look for.<P>Thanks in advance,<P>Clark

Hello Clark,<BR>Yes the 401 was available in 66 & the MT designated such. Was the upside down b you saw actually the 9 of your vin? With these year nailheads the engine production number and code was stamped on the left side on the top front edge of the block, and the VIN (Same As The Cars) will be stamped on the right side. <P>Hope this helps smile.gif" border="0<BR>Duane

Thanks for the help Duane<P>the "b" looking symbol does sound like it was meant to be a 6 and the upside down must have been a 9. They match up with my vin # too. Only thing is they really were odd looking and not a numerical stamping.<P>Do you know if the 401 was an option or was the 425 the option? Would you know where to find out how many Riviera 401's were sold in '66? Is it very unusual?<P>Also was the Carter AFB carb standard on the 401? Mine appears to have a Rochester Qjet although the numbers off the carb make it a 73 Olds 4 bbl.<P>Just curious.<P>Thanks again,<P>Clark

Hello Clark,<BR>The VIN Numbers should be on the right side of the top block edge. All the stamps I have seen are very straight and clean, all tight together and in line. What color is the engine? It should be red if wearing it's correct color for 66. Earlier Nailheads were Buicks Blue-Green. <P>The 425 WAS standard equipment in 66 but the 401 was a option. I am not sure how many were produced with the 401 though it was an economy model if you could imagine that!<P>1966 was the first year for the Q-Jet. The one you have on now may have been a replacement somewhere along the road.<P>Put a new question up for the number of 66 401 produced and sombody will pick it up!<P>Hope this helps,<BR>Duane

Hi Duane,<P>Yes the engine is red. Also the numbers all match with the vin number so I guess this was the 401 option on the '66 Riviera.<P>The numbers for the engine code (MT 270) are tight and stamped in deeper and smaller than the numbers on the right side of the block (vin numbers). They are also of a different typeface.<P>When I get a new USB card for my puter to download digital camera images I will put up a couple of pics to see the difference.<P>Thanks,<P>Clark