48 chevy 6 cly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to replace the 216 with a newer 6 cly in my 48 chevy. Can anyone tell me what year of 6 cly will fit and bolt up to my 3 speed tranny. Thanks for any help. </div></div>

I believe any of the 235's from 1953-62 will bolt right up, especially if your 3-spd goes on with 4 bolts, in a rectangular pattern, to the back of the bellhousing.

Art

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply Art. I am thinking about the rear end also, so any good ideas in that area. I can use all the help i can get here, as this is my first chevy i have done. </div></div>

Unless your's is a commercial car, such as a sedan delivery, or perhaps built as either a business coupe or utility sedan (with no back seat, but a cargo platform), chances are the rear end ratio would be just fine. The 235cid Blue Flame engines really don't rev all that much higher than your present 216 (after all, they're only 19cid bigger than the 216), but had a good bit more hp and torque than the smaller displacement engine.

I doubt I'd change a thing with the rear axle.

Art

• 1 year later...

I put a late model "6" in an early pick-up. It's been a while, but as I remember, everything bolted right in. The problem came at the front of the engine. the water pump sticks out further, making it neccessary to move the radiator forward a little. That isn't easy, as they used lots of steel on the old ones. we had a lot of cutting and fitting to make it work.

The engines look the same, but, no, you can't cheat by using the early water pump to gain the clearance needed. It doesn't fit.