Pictures of my 49 Conv

KIWI 49R

If your interested take a look at these.I just purchased her of Ebay and she will be heading down to New Zealand in the next couple of weeks.Any comments or advice are welcome. <BR> <A HREF="http://storage.ettp.net/roadmaster/1949RoadmasterConvertible.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://storage.ettp.net/roadmaster/1949RoadmasterConvertible.htm</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://storage.ettp.net/roadmaster/Miscellaneous.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://storage.ettp.net/roadmaster/Miscellaneous.htm</A>

Chris, the '49 Roadmaster convertible is a truly spectacular and desirable Buick.<P>I notice that the link describes the car as having a "flat head" straight eight engine. Actually, Buick's great advantage was that its engine was an overhead valve straight eight engine, which meant that it was significantly more powerful than most any competing straight eight engine.<P>Please keep us posted on your restoration process. If you have not already joined the BCA, I hope you will. If possible, you should plan to attend the Buick Centennial in 2003. You will see many fine 1949 Buicks to inspire you!

Excellent choice for restoration. Please<BR>post pictures of the reconstruction every<BR>few weeks or months. What do you think<BR>ETR (Estimated Time of Restoral)will be?<BR>Loren 56 Buick Century

Guest Skyking

It will be interesting to know who will finish their projects first. You, or 1950OHYEAH. Both cars look to be in the same condition. Good luck to both of you....

Guest Skyking

KIWI, no I'm not being a pessimist, I just think both cars are in need of a very serious restoration and would like to know who will finish first..... If it were I, I'd save the time and cash and would buy a turn key car. I've done enough restorations to learn that it is well worth buying a car that is finished, than doing one myself, even though I do 90% of my own work.....

Skyking,yes deepdown I know youre right but there is a lot of satisfaction to be had from bringing one of these time capsules back from the brink of oblivion with your own two hands.What car enthusiast hasnt puffed out their chest when asked " Wow, did you restore this car?"<P>Chris

Skyking,do I detect a hint of pessimism in your post? Never underestimate a Kiwi,remember the America`s Cup wink.gif" border="0 I have put a 4 year time span on this project and the first job on the list will be a complete strip down and into the acid bath to clean her up and see what we have or don`t have to work with. I`ll keep you all posted

Nice pictures, is that a suicide door Lincoln beside it, last photo first page? If it is I might be interested in that. Maybe a Meteor?

Given the cost of labour in this part of the world (New Zealand - Australia) the restoration cost can worthwhile on a valuable car, if its basically all there to start with. A clean, rust removal, paint & upholstery does wonders. Getting all the small pieces can be very expensive here.<P>Their is a restoration market here in New Zealand - Australia, where high value cars are sent here from USA Europe by their owners, restored and sent back to USA Europe. Our dollar is worth peanuts to the US $. <P>Keep up the good work Chris.

Wow...definately a lot of work - a REAL labor of love. I do somewhat pity you in that a lot of your cash in restoring that beautiful babe is going to be in shipping of parts. I had shipped some shocks to a gent in Australia and the shipping via slow boat to China (6-8 weeks) was still more than what the actual cost of the shocks were. Good luck to you though.....while I pity you the shipping, I ENVY you the final result grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0 Have lotsa fun in the trip to the final resoraion !

KIWI 49R,<P>How are you going to start the resto? I'd like to know what you have in mind - looks like you'll need to take the body off the frame and all that good stuff. You might spend a lot of cash and time doing it but WOW!, the first time you drive it - you're going to be a proud daddy.<P>Good luck! Keep the pictures coming.

Its all well and good to purchase a road ready car but being a retired autobody<BR>repairman i know the feeling of seeing a<BR>total rust bucket brought back to life.<BR>I hated doing it but when I was finished<BR>I was very proud to have had a part in<BR>it. There is just something to it seeing<BR>it come out of the paint shop for the first<BR>time. AHHH keep up the good work. Loren<BR>56 Buick Century.

Hi All,<BR> I didn`t think I`d create so much interest,thanks for all the positive comments. To answer some questions my first job will be to totally strip tthe car and that includes taking the body off the chassis.Then its going to the acid dipper for clean up (I feel its the only way to really get rid of all the rust)Then its going to a very accomplised bodyman I`ve known for 20 years to see what needs doing and how much I`ll do and what needs to be left to an expert.Shipping the car back here is going to cost $2600.00 U.S.Dollars which is more than the car cost.A lot of money I know but this is the car I want. I will post some picture when she comes back from acid dipping but that will probably be awhile as she won`t be landing here for at least six weeks.<P>Thanks again, Chris

Bill,<BR>I think secretly I truly am but right now Teresa and I have four cars and a three car garage. I think I would need at least a four car garage to pull the body off our Buick and have enough room to store the parts properly as well as room to work.<BR>The real dilema is that our car is in pretty good shape. It doesn't warrant the tremendous amount of work that's involved in a frame-off. Teresa has mentioned recently that she sure would like to have an older car body on a modern frame/drivetrain so that she can drive it with the ease and reliability that comes with a more modern car. So in the back of my mind I was thinking of a '46 through '48 Buick convertible that I might do that to. It will have to wait 'till we build another house/garage. A few years back we sold a '48 Super convertible that needed a complete resto but which ran and drove and I'll never be settled until I have another one. I am so sorry I sold that car. Oh well, live and learn I guess. By the way check out this '46 Roadmaster cnvt. on eBay.<BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1812467696" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1812467696</A> <P>Cheers!

Guest Skyking

Just came from e-bay, looking at that 46............KIWI, I gotta say, you made a wise choice......The 49's got it all over the 46-48......I should be very pretty when finished......

The 49's were the first redesign after the war and they really do look good. I am partial to the 1950 models though. No matter you are going to have a lot of fun restoring that car.<P>Crin, to do a frame off really takes 3 garages, one for the frame and drive train, one for the body, and one for parts. I did mine with a 2 car garage but had to leave the frame outside to work on it. Down here it didn't rain much that summer.<BR>I hear you can put a mid 70's riveara chassis under the 40's Buicks pretty easy. Might be an interesting way to go if you want the realiabilty of a newer car.

• 9 months later...

I am glad to discover another fan of this great looking car. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. By the way, I have lots of extra parts that I dont have room for any longer. Including a completely rebuilt engine, transmission and rear end. all brand new and never driven. I also have all new brake and suspension parts for all four wheels. A rebuilt hydro electric pump, brand new wiring harness still in the box and lots of other parts that you will need. If you are interested please contact me in nevada at 702-233-4975 or by e-mail at oddman@lvcm.com