Production of the Early 1950 2dr Jetback

Guest James Conkwright

Guest James Conkwright

Looking to find out how many of the EARLY 1950 Model 46-S Special Sedanette were produced. My car has the rectangle knobs for the lights, map light, etc. Most 1950's have the round but mine is the early production 1950 which was porduced in Early 1949 but is a 1950 Model. It also has a Dynaflow transmission. This car has no reveal moldings or any side chrome. Any information appreciated. I was under the impression that all Specials were produced in the Flint, Mich plant but my car being a unrestored excellent 35,000 mile car has the original production sticker on the passenger inner door jam (Inside by the Hinges) that says MAY, COLORADO. Its white with red lettering. Thanks in advance. And also how many of these EARLY 1950'S would you expect remain today. Thank you

Jconckright, I have a 1950 46-S also, presently under restoration. Mine has the rectangular knobs in the radio grille, also. I'm told that the mark of an early production 1950 versus a late one is whether the heater control knob is underneath the center of the dash next to the defrost and vent knobs. On early ones, it is supposed to be that way, while on the later ones, the heater control knob is off by itself underneath the glove box, which is the way mine is. However, I'm also told that mine has an early production steering wheel and horn ring (like the '49s), in which the "buick Eight" is embossed in the chrome arms of the horn ring. So, I guess it's anyone's guess as to what is early production and what is late. My car has a stainless reveal moulding around the belt line (below the side windows) and that is about it for chrome trim.<P>Pete Phillips, BCA #7338<BR>Ector, Texas

As far as production numbers are concerned, I doubt that there was any tracking of production numbers to tell us how many cars were built before or after certain running changes made during the 1950 model year production. It seems likely that the various items that might mark a '50 Special as an early production model were phased in at different times. If the '50 Specials were built at more than one assembly plant, the running changes could have been made at different dates. In some cases, different suppliers might have provided parts for different assembly plants, so there were probably some subtle differences that marked cars built at one plant from those built at other plants.<P>I have never heard of a Colorado assembly plant. If you post the vehicle's serial number and the data contained on the vehicle's body plate (cowl or firewall area), I suspect that someone here can tell us exactly which plant assembled your car. Moreover, the approximate production date can also be determined, which should help confirm that yours is an early production car.<P>It's probably anybody's guess how many '50 Special 46-S cars still exist. When I have my Bugle Roster readily available, I will count how many of this model are represented in the BCA. While there will certainly be cars that exist that are not in the BCA, it's probably reasonable to assume that many of the nicer ones in the USA are owned by BCA members.<p>[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Centurion ]

The Buick Club roster from 2001 lists only eleven 1950 Special 46-S cars. One of those cars is located in Switzerland. It is, of course, impossible to know how many others exist outside the Buick Club and what kind of condition they are in. There are no doubt some derelicts rotting away in old wrecking yards.