1958 Impala/235 cid/2BBL Carb

CAB

Hemmings Sept. 2004, page 46 discusses the 58 Impala. "the base Impala engine was the trusty and tried Blue Flame inline-six. This OHV 235.5-cu.in I-6, which used a 3.56 x 3.94-inch bore and stroke, breathed through a 2-bbl. Rochester carburetor......" My controversy is the 2-bbl used on a 235cid. Some say that never happened. Bottom line is that I have a 56 Bel Air w/235 cid that I would like to convert from a 1-bbl to a 2-bbl and some speed shops can make that happen but if this was a standard then I would lean towards that. Linkage is a big issue therefore can the 58 Impala/235 cid/2BBL Carb be confirmed by someone??? Thanks, CAB [color:\\"black\\"]

Thanks for the info Tom. I am not concerned so much about additional HP but better gas efficency. Upwards of 30% fuel is wasted on the 1BBL. I am concerned about the linkages that was used on the '58 using the 2BBL. Where could I find this info.? Thanks, CAB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to Standard Catalog of Chevrolet 1912-1998, the 1958 235.5 cid engine had a 2 bbl carb. Rochester model 7012127. They claim a whopping 5 more horsepower than your '56.

Tom D. </div></div>

I'm sorry, but if Standard Catalog has that information, it is incorrect. The 235cid 6, all through its production life in passenger cars, used Rochester single barrel carburetors, incidently, the same Rochester single-barrel was used on the 230/250 6's from 1963 until the end of production for those cars.

I think I am correct, having been the owner of a 1958 Chevy Sedan Delivery, and current owner of an all original '59 Biscayne sedan, both 6-banger cars, and both with single barrel Rochesters. Also, my Chevrolet factory literature, including the assembly manuals, and shop manuals for these years make no mention of a 2bbl carb or manifold for these cars.

Art Anderson