Hi-volt shock through ignition key!?!

cpu

That title should attract some attention... and laughs. But this is for real. I was hesitant to post this - I can guess some of the responses - but it did happen several times.

When I start my Reatta, with the engine cold, I sometimes get a bit of an electrical zap from the key! It doesn't happen instantly when I start the car, but after the engine has been running for about 1 minute, and the car is in Drive, running at just off-idle, out of the parking lot.

Please stop laughing.

If I happen to let the keychain to which the ignition key is attached hang down to touch my knee, I get a tingle on my knee. This seems to happen most in cold weather. I'm hesitant to drive wearing shorts... I figure it's a high voltage discharge because I can feel the shock through pants. shocked.gif

The electric chair treatment lasts about 5 seconds, not continuously, about 2-3 zaps. This is a gentle tingle, not a big jolt you'd get from a spark plug wire or gas grill ignitor.

Looking forward to comments from the gang.

Check to see if any of the spark plug wires on the firewall side of the engine are in contact with the steering rack.

I cannot think of any other place you would get more than 12 v

A 1988-1989 with a central power supply could be giving you AC via wire in contact with the column.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay - vacation, got sick, etc.

My car is an 88.

Are there voltages in the vicinity of the column that are higher than battery voltage?

My wife tells me she never experienced this. Whenever something "minor" such as this happens, she refuses to drive the car until I repair it. Women can be funny like that.

I think the lights were on the last time it happened.

I work on vacuum tube stuff (vintage amps, radios, etc) and the gentle but perceptible tingle is a little like what you could get off a hot chassis.

I'll try to get a buzz tonight.