$800 sending unit.

Since I was rebuilding my Cadillac engine, I thought this would be a good time to fix the gas gauge.

So, I took the tank down, and send the sending unit to John Wolf in Ohio. $100 later in an UPS box. I open the box, and the unit was in pieces. So, I called and sent it back. this time they sodered the case closed.

At the same time, I let my uncle tank my tank to a radiator guy who coats gas tanks. $100 later, and I had him re-coat tank.

Installed both units and put gas in and the gauge did not work.

Check the dash, and the circuit board was cracked. So, on ebay I bought another dash for $100 and switched the circuit board. No luck.

now it's time to take the tank down for the 2nd time. I go to loosen the drain plug, and the gas tank guy coated the plug, and it ripped the bolt out of the tank. Gas was pouring all over the place.

So, off the sender goes to be fix again, at the tank to be repaired. Another $85 dollars for the tank repair, and then the sender came back again. I tried it out of the car, and the gauge worked. I get the tank back it, pour two gallons of gas in, and the tank leaks! The smuck, used jb weld on the drain plug, and it was leaking under it. He did paint it black, so I did not notice it.

So, out came the tank for the 3rd time. This time off to those Re-nue gas tank people. $425 later I get a nice tank back, coated, baked, and warranty.

Reinstalled yet again, the gauged worked with two gallons of gas, poured in with a gas can.

So, Friday it was off to the gas station for the full tank gas gauge test. I put the hose in the tank, and run to the gauge to watch the needle go up, and the hose clicks off.

1 gallon, and the filler tube was filed to the top!

Turns out the second smuck, sealed off the vent pipe.

So, off came the tank a 4th time! I going to drop it off tomorrow.

So it just goes to show there is very little difference between a $100 smuck and a $425 smuck. I am the $800 kind

(my Cadillac is the August CLC calendar picture)

tank update....

the second tank guy heated the coating over the air tube with a heat gun, while using an air compressor to blow air thru the line.

ready for the forth install. this time I'm going to use wing nuts!

$425 seems a little high for gas tank renew. Isn't that where they boil out the tank & coat it with plastic inside & out? A friend of mine just had one done for a 1955 Packard & it cost around $250, and that was with the lifetime warranty. Maybe they jack up the price because you're near NYC.

yes, i was thinking about that as I watched that $2.50 a gallon dump on the garage floor....

The real kicker is the tank was fine to begin with!

I over fixed it.