Was there an Oil Filter Cannister in '38?

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin knocker

I have a 37 Special and it does not have an oil filter. According to my shop manual the oil pump has a floating screened pickup for the oil pump. This permits the pump to draw clean oil from the top of the sump and allows sediment to settle to the bottom of the sump. "The clean oil supply obtained by the use of floating screen make the oil filter used on previous models unnecessary." I would still like a filter though.

Guest Teamsterdug

Hi fellow "BCA"ers. I just obtained a '38 Special w/248c.i. engine. Is there supposed to be an Oil filter cannister assembly on this engine? My last car ('53 Special straight 8) had it and I assumed there should be one on this one. NOT!!!! Please help.

AC had a filter which was widely used at the time.I remember they had trouble with a few of them,the hoses didnt like the (FUMES?) from the battery.Try Wheatbelt,they may have a car in their yard with one on it.They were a dealer-installed accessory.

Guest tin knocker

I was given a old oil filter setup that looks like it came from a later straight eight. I thought about installing it, but have no idea where to mount it or where to connect the oil lines to the engine. If anyone has done this, any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Guest Teamsterdug

Thanks to everybody that replied to my Oil Canister dilema. Was glad to hear that the '38 engine wasn't altered from original by it not being there!

• 2 weeks later...

First I am 75 years old so take that into account when my memory is wrong . The old 1937 Buick had an oil filter on one side of the engine ,right front I think. That substituted for the oil line to the valve system. Find someone that has a 1937 with the oil filter on it. He will likely be only too happy to show it to you. M.L. Anderson

Guest Teamsterdug

To M.L.Anderson:<BR> The fact that your 75 years old and still care about old cars, especially Buicks, demands respect in itself! Thanks for the input. I have been told since posting this question that on the '38 you could get a dealer installed filter assembly added on. Yes, the filter assembly (if so equipped) is located on the right front of the engine. Thanks again.