Caravans to Flint, 2003

Centurion

The anticipation is growing for the BCA National Meet and Buick Centennial Celebration in Flint in July, 2003.<P>Since August, 2000, the North Cascade Chapter (Washington state) has worked on planning a caravan from the Seattle area to Flint. Our route will take us across the northern Great Plains states and across Michigan's Upper Peninsula enroute to Flint.<P>Currently, I am tracking more than 45 drivers -- mostly from Washington and Oregon and surrounding states -- who have expressed an interest in this "once in a lifetime" old Buick adventure. Our group will include early Buicks from 1906 and 1907 (both trailered), as well as eleven straight-8 era cars that will be driven all the way. The straight-8's range from a 1931 Opera Coupe to a 1953 Special. Among V8-powered Buicks from the 1950's, we currently have seventeen lined up to participate in the trip. From the 1960's and 1970's, there are numerous Wildcats, GS's, Rivieras, Electras, etc.<P>Our group will travel with tools and experienced mechanics to deal with any breakdowns along the way, and we will organize small groups of five-to-six cars for each day's travel, based on vehicle vintage.<P>Many of our drivers have already made room reservations for Flint, and we are currently negotiating with lodging facilities for group rates at our planned overnight stops along the way.<P>Because the small towns and rural communities along our route have limited lodging facilities, we will eventually need to limit the number of cars in our caravan. But we do have room for additional cars at this time. If you are from the Northwest, northern Rocky Mountain states, northern Great Plains states or Western Canada, and have an interest in making this historic trek, please let us know. I am particularly interested in adding more straight-8 era Buicks to our caravan.<P>If you are interested, please e-mail me at: laurance@integrity.com<P>I have heard that caravans will be planned from New England and Florida areas. Is anyone aware of the status of any other caravans planned from around the country? If so, it would be fun to see some information posted here.<P>Brian Laurance, BCA #5168

Guest Skyking

Brian, that sounds great! I would like to know if anyone from the New England states is planning a caravan......

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reviving this topic because there appears to be interest in a caravan from the New England area. I note that one of the officers of the Minuteman Chapter is now utilizing this forum, and I recall some past indication that the Minuteman Chapter might organize a caravan.

There wouldn't be any Caravans going from CA to Flint would there? I believe I'd get lost driving up to Seatle from LA, considering I've never crossed state lines while driving.<P>Just a currious guy...

CyberBuick, I have not heard anything about a California caravan, but I hope someone is thinking about planning one.<P>We do have one person driving a '69 Riviera up from the L.A. area to join us for the Seattle caravan, as well as a '65 Riviera joining us from northern California. For that matter, we have a '58 Special driving from South Dakota to Seattle to caravan with us all the way to Flint!

Centurion, please do us all a favor and not let this thread die. I'm interested in joining the caravan, but I have a hard enough time planning for next Tuesday, let alone the summer of 2003!

Skyking, I've always been somewhat of the lone wolf but should our schedules turn out to be the same, way to soon to know what mine will be yet, I'm sure we could run together. <BR> Will you be towing a trailer or driving out. I'm not sure yet would much rather drive my 65 Skylark GranSport. Doug

Guest Skyking

Doug, no trailer, I'll probably be driving my 62 Invicta conv. We'll keep in touch, maybe meet up on I-90 somewhere. It's still over a year away......looking forward to it!

Redrob, you're right; July, 2003 is a long ways off. None of us know for sure what our circumstances will be next July, so it is hard to commit to anything that far in advance. I'm sure that some of the people who are hoping to travel to Flint will find that they are unable to attend for various reasons.<P>Still, I figure we all have a greater chance of getting there if we do what we can do now to prepare for it. Because my chapter has been talking about this for a couple of years, many of us have been inspired to finish some of the work needed on our cars, alert our employers to our 2003 vacation schedules, and start saving money to cover our travel expenses.<P>I hope you're able to come. <P>For those of you who are planning to travel from New England and New York, keep up the communication! I've found that it helps to set up an e-mail group, allowing me to communicate to everyone interested in the caravan by issuing a single e-mail message. Since we know the dates of the meet in Flint, you might want to start talking about your schedule, determining when you want to leave home and when you want to arrive in Flint. If you provide some specific information concerning your schedule and your intended route on this forum, I suspect that you will find others along the way who want to caravan with you. <P>In case I haven't mentioned it recently, our local Olds Club members said -- after driving their old cars together to Lansing for the Olds Centennial -- "Getting there is more than half the fun." What a thrill to be out on the highways of America with a group of beautiful old Buicks!

Once that caravan reaches Buffalo, via the I-90 are the plans to go through Penn-Ohio-Michigan or through Canada (Canada being shorter)?<BR>It is a little early to commit, but I live in the Buffalo area and may be interested in joining the caravan.

Anyone driving through Canada these days should be advised to bring all proper ID for you and children and your cars.Birth certificates for kids under 16 are a must.

The drive through Canada is definitely the shortest and quickest, have passport and/or birth certificate, although, in my last 2 trips at Thanksgiving and Christmas(2001) the trek to the west there was no request for that info, but from Michigan into Canada I was asked for id both times. Take I-90 to I-290 to I-190 to Canada, then 405 to the QEW to 403 to 401 to 402 to Sarnia, across the bridge to Port Huron and then I-69 to Flint, exit to I475 N to the Longway Blvd exit and you will be at the show,but to your hotel in Flint, I would have to know which hotel to give you better directions. I have done the drive from Flint to Owego, NY (RT 17 exit66) for the last 23 years so I know this is the best way to go, if you need more detail, please don't hesitate to ask.

I have made it from my house, about 7 miles south of the show, to the Lewiston border crossing in 4 hours at the least and more depending on the border delays, weather, fuel stops etc. It's about 67 miles to Sarnia from Flint, another 70 or so to London, 60 to Hamilton from London and 60 or so to Lewiston.<BR>I think it's around 260 miles from FLint to the NY State border.<BR>The speed limit in Canada is 100KPH(62MPH) and on I-69 it's 70 till you get to just outside Flint.<BR>Hope that helps. R

Won't the gas prices be somewhat more $$$$$ North of the border. <BR> How about parts stores for those unforseen repairs. Seems like there is one every other exit here in the states. Just thinking out loud.<BR> Sure is pretty up there though.<BR> Doug BCA# 33850<BR> Ahhh How do you say " It's not a Chevelle, it's a Buick" in French? tongue.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: DugsSin ]

"Pas de Chevelle. C'est une Buick voiture!"<P>Only required in French Canadian Quebec not English Ontario except area in Eastern Ontario bordering Quebec!<P>Frenchy

Parts store, who needs a parts store, you take your tools, a water pump and a fuel pump and a spare tire, maybe a gas can,what else will you need, a cell to call me in Michigan, if you really get in a jam, I have an open trailer and a enclosed(usually has the race car in it though!) Fuel, it's a little bit higher than it is in the states but not much, around .63/liter, but don't forget the change on the dollar, not sure what it is right now but it was .49 Canadian to a buck US.

Guest COMPACTBC

According to their newsletter this month, the California Capitol Chapter (in Sacramento) are planning a caravan to Flint for the 100th anniversary national meet. They are planning to leave July 17th or 18th. the contact person in Jack Corliss at (530)470-9197. smile.gif" border="0

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Skyking,<BR>I would like to join the "outlaw caravan" grin.gif" border="0 at Erie Pa on 90 , you guys appear to be the closest caravan passing by my home.I will be driving my 77 Electra, dont own a trailer , dont want to own a trailer. Besides even if I did have a trailer , what could pull that combo,LOL. Keep me posted.<P>Dan

Is anyone looking to head up to Flint from the Colorado area? I know if a California caravan is going to Flint odds are you'd be traveling through Denver. I'd love to go to Flint with a bunch of old Buicks next to me shocked.gif" border="0 <BR>Of course it is over a year away, who knows what I'll be doing then, I may not even have the car.

66Vert,<P>If you go to the BCA's Home Page (www.buickclub.org), you will see a list of chapters who have their own web sites. Among these is the Rocky Mountain Chapter. The site shows the following contact individual: Don Hess, 970 330-4033<P>There are two other Colorado chapters:<P>Pike's Peak Chapter: Elmer "Gene" High, 719 685-0737<P>Mile High Chapter: Contact name shown, but no telephone number provided<P>I would expect that members from these Colorado chapters are already thinking about or actively planning their trips to Flint. I suggest that you contact these chapters to learn whether anything is in the works. If not, then you might contact the Sacramento group (phone number in one of the above replies) to learn their itinerary. You are probably correct that some of the California groups will travel through Colorado.<P>Let us know what you find out!

• 2 months later...

Here's a status update on the Seattle to Flint Caravan:<P>We have just completed negotiations with lodging facilities for each overnight stop along the route to Flint, and have furnished the lodging information to everyone who has so far expressed an interest in participating with us.<P>If there are others from the Pacific Northwest, northern Rocky Mountain states, northern Great Plains or Western Canada who want to be part of Buick history, please let us know!<P>Brian Laurance, BCA# 5168<BR>laurance@integrity.com

Alow a little extra time,if you can for the UP of Mich. It,s beautiful country.Spend your last night there and travel to Flint the next day.We will call ahead to have the snow cleared for you.