F-150 Fuel Problem

This isn't an antique or collectible problem but I do see some good mechanics in here so I thought I would post here too.

I'm dealing with a 1987 Ford F-150, 302 5.0 or 5.01 L with dual fuel tanks. (Short Bed)

There is a selector switch on the dash for the tanks.

No fuel is getting to the engine. I have two "in" tank fuel pumps, one exterior electric on the drivers side rail, behind that a selector valve with four in lines and two out lines to the electric fuel pump and then one line out to the engine. I can hear the electric pump work and stop after about a second from turning on the key. The cost of each one of these items is about 100 bucks each and I just need some sound opinions on what part to start with in the process of elimination. There is a fuel filter between the selector valve and the tanks -I removed it and replaced it for 7 bucks, that was a good cheap start but the thing still is getting no gas to the engine.

I have a digital photo attached from FMC above that you can take a look at.

I had an 88 F150 with the two tanks, 3 pumps and lots of problems. Even had one of the in tank pumps changed one time because the garage though that was the problem. That time it turned out to be a corroded terminal block under the hood. A year or so later I had the problem again and it was corrosion in a connector under the hood. The second time I cut the connector out and soldered on the wires together and used shrink tubing over the joints. That solved my problem till I got rid of it a couple of years later. Not sure if it was the same connector since I didn't fix it the first time.

I can't remember a lot of the details of which connector, it was 8 or so years ago.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

For info ---- this problem was resolved under the hood with electrical connections!!!! I would say to the designers of the day that engineered this thing... one word...

"KISS"......

Keep It Simple Suckers..

Why the high pressure electric pump I have no idea..... the manifold simply does not appear to need it. Nor do the specs on the fuel injection.

A simple mechanical valve for tank choice is more than adequate. Two fuel gages on the console would have been perfect. I guess these guy's were displaced from the rocket science engineers and needed a job. Simple is always better!

"Will"Iam

Glad you found your problem but I had an 1981 F150 that had the simple valve to change tanks, I had problems with that also. The gauge would switch but the valve would stick. When you coasted to the side of the road with a full tank showing you crawled under and whacked the valve with something handy like a rock.

My 1998 has the right solution, one big tank. Although the dual tanks saved me on both F150s I had by allowing me to schedule when to fix a leaking tank by running it dry and running on one tank till I had time.