Rebuilding 1947 346 Flathead

vodoocaddy

I am rebuilding my 47 flathead. Has anyone dealt with Kanter auto and used their deluxe rebuild kit. If so any advice would be appreciated. I ahve not purchased kit yet and am looking at alternatives. Price is not bad at $1300. Does anyone know other sources besides ALLCADS. They are very expensive and can be difficult to discuss things with at times plus they don't have a kit. Machine shop is costing about $1500 in addition to parts and they will give it back to me as a short block. I only want to do this once. I would also like sources on best correct engine paint.

Hi voodoo....for the best answer and quickest response, I would suggest you go to your CLC registry and contact Walter Brewer in the Denver area. He has rebuilt many a 346 and has written a serialized article on rebuilding the motor.

I have used Kanter and had no trouble with their parts, but not in rebuilding an engine. Another source to try is Coopers Vintage Auto. They are online at Coopers

The costs you have quoted seem reasonable. The quote given me for my '47 flathead was $3200 to pull, rebuild and install. That included paint, etc..

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies. I have not contacted Terrells does anyone have a number for them? I have heard from numerous places to be carefull with Kanter, engine wise they are shakey. I spoke with Egge who supplies most of the stuff for Cooper. They seem best right now and very knowledgable but pricey. You get what you pay for most times so going cheap usually costs more in the long run. Unfortunately this is going over my expected budget for the engine. Was planning to spend about $1000 less but thats the fun of restoration. Has a life of it's own. I haven't even begun and already over budget.

Voodoo,

I felt compelled to respond since I recently did a rebuild using Kanter for purchasing the deluxe kit. Although I have a 55 Buick (322-V8), I made sure I found what my machinist needed as far as bearings, piston sizes, etc. and when I purchased through Kanter we went through the list together and I had them repeat everything to confirm the order. Not a single problem and they drop shipped straight to the machine shop.

Just thought I would respond with an "I RECOMMEND" for your tally. Best of luck in the rebuild...

Kind Regards,