Caked Crud under body and on chassis

WillBilly53

hello,<BR>i just bought a '53 buick super and i was trying to get to the venitport portholes to take 'em off to get replated and i got under the car and all underneath the car there's this caked grey crud (almost like concrete) and i don't know how to get it off. (there were a couple of dirt dobber nests underneath also) i can barely make out the nuts and bolts for the venti ports and such. i've got a wire brush for my drill and it takes off some of it but very very slowly. i was wondering if there is some kind of chemical or solution i could use to get this stuff off or if anyone might even have an idea of what it is. it might just be dirt caked up real good. it's all underneath the car and on the frame too.<P>thanks in advance. <BR>and thanks for all the replies to my previous post. i really appreciate it, this is my first restoration so please excuse me if i post a billion topics or sound stupid.<P>will eskridge

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I agree with Bill, it is most likely a lot of road dirt on top of factory undercaoting.<P>I did my 1955, and the only way to get to those screws and nuts is to carefuly scrape them with a screwdriver, chisel or the wire wheel on the drill. <P>Make sure if you do use the wire wheel that you wear eye protection, as the little wires do come out.<P>I have a much success in cleaning my engine exterior, chassis, etc. with two different products:<P>1. Crud Remover, availaible from Prestige Products. Approx. $40 per gal. (much stronger that Challenger but more toxic)<P>2. Challenger, available at most Ace Hardware<BR>Stores for approx. $12 per gal. (I use this at 100% even though the bottle says to dilute)<P>P.S. they both work great on white walls!<P>I was happy that my car was undercoated as when I took off my front bumper, grill and chrome, as soon as I did scrape off the undercoating, it all came off like it was assembled yesterday.<P>As comapred to the other option, no undercoating=lots of rust and broken bolts/fingers.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

woah! i bought some cheap chisel set at walmart and some simply green and fabulous b'uster. man, i got to work under my baby and that 50 year old crusted dirt and gunk came off like a charm, revealing a beautiful matte black coating. i'm so excited! thanks guys!