Overdrive Units

robert d adams

A fellow by the name of Lloyd Young sells reconditioned Borg Warner R9 Overdrive units. I installed one on my 1932 Cadillac V8 All Weather Phaeton and have never regretted it. I can now tour at any legal speed and the engine loafs. The price is $1,175.

I also own a 1933 Packard Twelve Convertible Sedan in which I installed a high speed rearend. It cost about $2,500 and the installation was quite expensive. While the O/D unit was essentially a bolt on unit with virtually no installation cost. But for the Packard an O/D unit was unnnecessary as the engine has gobs more power than the Cadillac V8.

What are you thinking of putting the O/D on? If you have any further questions or need Lloyd Young's address and telephone number, just let me know.

There's an interesting feature on taller gearing for vintage and Classic cars in the Nov./Dec.,'94 Special Interest Autos issue #144: Down to the Interstate in Ships; Modern Speed in Vintage Iron. A couple aftermarket sources are listed in the article. You can order a back issue from Hemmings at 1 (800) 227-4373. OD/taller gearing really improves the [color:\\"black\\"] experience.

• 6 years later...
Guest OverDriveIt.com

You can visit at our website, ask questions, we can help you save on your fuel bill, and you end up paying less for it. Why pay more when you can pay less? We take special orders and special requests, or you can get our helpful do-it-yourself manuals and DVD's with our OverDrive Unit parts kit available for any truck or SUV.

Hard to believe!

Visit us and start saving today.

OverDriveIt.com:

OverDriveIt.com

Customer Support:

Hours:

Mon - Saturday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

Closed on Sundays

Toll free: English or Spanish

1-855-53-DRIVE

1-855-533-7483

The IGR-OverDriveIt Team

Please pass this along so we can help others start saving today.

Guest OverDriveIt.com

We placed this ad up for people who would like to install an overdrive unit in their trucks, or SUV's. Our product has nothing to do with vintage cars. We posted this in case anyone, with a gas-hogging truck, would like to obtain the same fuel mileage you would get in a vintage car. Our products are remanufatured for cusotmers with our D.I.Y. Manual/DVD's at a low reasonable price instead of thousands of dollars you would spend at GearVendors.

Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.

However, I tried contacting them several times, up to and including E-mailing and talking to someone who said they'd have their "old car" guy call me back. Never did.

Instead, I had Lloyd Young in Columbus install a Borg Warner overdrive in my 1929 Cadillac. It's inline with the torque tube, about $2300 installed, and is a 30% overdrive. I don't need an overdrive in this application that will handle 1000 horsepower, and Lloyd's work is well-regarded throughout the hobby on older cars. He had a 1931 Cadillac very similar to mine there with 20,000 miles on it with an overdrive, so I had a lot of faith in his work.

Before:

5552-dscn3795.jpg

After:

5554-dscn3804.jpg

5556-dscn3807.jpg

I'll know how well it works next week after we put it back together, but having driven several cars with Lloyd's overdrives in them, I expect it will transform the car.

Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...