Assembly Plant Questions

The Buick Special of 1947 was the first <BR>model of buick built in GA. I believe the<BR>last model was the Skyhawk in 1979. After<BR>that the plant was closed and production moved to Linden N.J. Don't quote me but<BR>I believe that is correct. No big Buicks<BR>were built in GA. Loren 56 Buick Century

What cars were made at Doraville Assembly(GA) between 1947 and 1980?<BR>Were the first-generation FWD Oldsmobile 98s (1985-1990)built at Lake Orion or Wentzville?<BR>Also, what was the first car assigned to Lake Orion when it commenced production in 1983?<BR>What cars were built at the Framingham, Linden, and Tarrytown Assembly plants from 1955-1970?<p>[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: 1959BuickEnthusiast ]

Guest 70 Electra

Collectors often refer to their car as "Atlanta" built, but do not realize there were two different plants in/near that city.<P>Prior to the late 60's, when GM assembly plants were combined under GMAD (GM Assembly Division), Lakewood was a Chevrolet-owned plant. Only Chevy products were made there. This plant was in the heart of Atlanta, and closed when the "new" (1991) Caprice was introduced and assigned to the Willow Run MI plant. As I recall, Lakewood was very near a prison. When I was there in 1989, it was a very rough and rundown neighborhood.<P>Doraville, by contrast, is slightly north of Atlanta and was a B-O-P plant (Buick, Olds, Pontiac). Doraville still exists today, and builds the GM minivans. <P>In VIN's where the plant code is given by a letter character, Lakewood used "A" and Doraville used "D". On coding of the body tags, Lakewood used "ATL" (for 'Atlanta') and Doraville used "BA" (for BOP, Atlanta).