Here's one to debate over

Dave@Moon

Guest my3buicks

I think it started as a coupe - the Skylark Name and badges were added as it is a modern interpretation of a 53 Skylark - the Steering wheel center doesn't appear to be Skylark or not a monogrammed on anyway - the side sweep spear looks to come out to much from the body to be that of a 53 skylark(Skylarks had a flat to the body sweep) The rear armrest panels and panel area also seem to be shaped the same or similar to my 53 56R and I think the Skylark was a little different there. My 2 cents !

Dave, the immediate reaction is to think "Skylark". If the car began life as a Riviera hardtop, someone clearly attempted to mimic the Skylark's overall shape -- including side trim and the cut-down windshield, not to mention the emblem ahead of the rear wheel opening.

I wonder what response you would receive to an inquiry for the data included on the car's body plate. If the original data plate exists, it should clarify very quickly the car's original series and body style.

Is someone trying to hide the fact that they customized a rare, original Skylark? If that's the case, I'm not certain what they would gain by their deception.

Late addition (just looked at the Ebay listing): I see that the car's show sign includes a "before photo" of a Riviera hardtop, and, as I look at the other photos and read Keith's post, I'm inclined to think this is for real. Nicely done as it may be, I would have preferred the stock Riviera hardtop!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is someone trying to hide the fact that they customized a rare, original Skylark? If that's the case, I'm not certain what they would gain by their deception.

</div></div>

Looking as carefully at the pictures as i could I still can't tell if this was a hardtop or a an original Skylark before it was modified. If it is a re-creation it is a fantastic one. The wheel arches and "Darrin dip" are perfect copies. The proportions are excellent, the relationship of the trunk line to the fenders appears to be correct, and the sweapspear trim is a perfect fit and location. Finally there are at least three pieces of authentic 1953 Skylark trim visible in the photos.

This was a professionally done car, and obviously there were few if any limits in it's build. I am inclined to question why someone would spend as much money as it would cost to <span style="font-style: italic">so accurately</span> duplicate an otherwise available (at a still high but probably lower price) body.

I'm one who believes too many rare/valuable cars being lost to the hobby in this manner. I've even seen complete restored cars (some quite valuable) modified thusly, which I believe to be tragic for our hobby's future. I was curious if this might be another one. I'd be relieved to confirm that a real Skylark wasn't so modified.

Guest imported_bjr

Here is the Ebay discription of what the car was built from. Not a cut up Skylark!!

Body Custom built from a 1953 Buick Riviera 2 Door Hardtop, the spectacular, one of a kind car received Extensive body modification including a 2?chop, working late model GM convertible Top, Modified original front bumper, and grille, Sectioned hood 3?, 1957 Chevy upper doors and quarters grafted, lengthened and radiused quarter panels, NOS 1956 Packard taillights, 1955 Pontiac Split rear bumper and 1956 Buick Side Trim. The car is finished off in Viper Red Drive train Includes a Corvette LT-4 engine with a 460 E transmission and a 9? Ford Rearend. Custom Interior Includes a 63 Thunderbird dashboard with slide-away steering column and console. Monte Carlo swivel bucket front seats, with custom fabricated rear seats. The convertible top is in Black canvas. Car is equipped with vintage air heat and A/C, 2 speed electric wipers, power front windows, Dakota Digital Instruments, and a stereo with a 10disc cd changer. Front Frame Includes suspension and rack and pinion steering from a late model Corvette. As the recipient of the Gene Winfield and many other prestigious awards, this exceptional car has joined the ranks of Truly Great American Custom. This is a car to drive and enjoy and as Joe Landi stated ?It doesn?t get better than this? The purchaser can be assured that they can drive the car with confidence and pride themselves on owning a magnificent custom automobile.

Guest Skyking

Obviously the build went to great extremes on this car. The workmanship looks outstanding not to mention the creativity......One thing the car is lacking are wide whitewalls.. It's too bad he didn't live long enough to enjoy all that work.