FOR SALE: Rolls-Royce 1921 Silver Ghost

Rolls-Royce 1921 Silver Ghost, early Springfield Ghost with rare sedan body, runs and drives well, strong engine, big powerful automobile with lots of room. Won the 2003 Preservation Award for Outstanding Originality at the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club Meet in Newport, Rhode Island. Offers considered. Allan Weiner, 207-985-7547, Kennebunk, Maine; email: wbcq@gwi.net

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Silverghost

I believe you are WRONG!!! SID... Springfield Drum headlamps,front fenders,and more!!! This is in fact a Springfield Ghost...Note: very early Brittish style hubs!!!(early springfield cars used Brittish made Chassis before Rolls~Royce of America was up-and -running -fully!!!I know of several around today like this!!!) Shutters are early style!!!(Not changed until 1924-25 Ghost then P I on!!!)I own one!!! Twenty looks much much smaller!!!

• 10 months later...

Afraid he is right about it being a Springfield, there were about a dozen cars assembled here before they were actually sold, and the Bausch and Lomb headlights and the 1920'ish American body styling do show a lot of influence from here. I think this could be easily one of the Non-Springfield Springfields that pre-dated actual production. Someone is also forgetting that a lot of earlier Rolls were done with special-order things from earlier models because the buyer wanted it that way, or they had parts that needed to be used. We are not talking about a mass-production thing here, it is still basically a hand-built car and the quality and availability determined more of what was used than year-production styling. Never ceases to amaze me that some people still rely on the same judgement calls used in mass-production when we are talking about an assembled car. Let's not forget that in 1920, the assembled cars were still of the highest quality, and it would be that way for at least 4 more years! And another thing, the short spurt of prosperity in 1919 was followed by a severe recession that made MANY auto manufacturers use up stores of the parts they had on hand rather than go out and spend a lot on new parts. Let's try and get an idea of actual history, rather than quote verbatim the "stylistic details" which were always more common on mass-produced cars of the era. Would be curious what that same person might think of a Stanley Steamer with original factory 4-wheel Lockheed hydraulic brakes, cycle fenders, balloon tires, and start-up on the passenger side,.... I suppose they would tell me that car does not exist, but I know for a fact it does, was built by the Stanley /American Steam Car Company, and I know what year it is, that is is authentic, original, and it is NOT a 1923, despite what three so-called "Experts" have suggested. [color:"blue"]