'62 Interior Color Question

Guest rlbleeker

Guest rlbleeker

Cleaning up the interior of my '62 Skylark convertible. It's a black car with a white interior, trim code 127. My question is about the color of the upper (painted) portion of the doors and the visors. On my car these items are black, on others I've seen these are white. My car has been redone (poorly) in the past, so they may have been changed. I can find no evidence they were ever white. I prefer them being black, but will change them if it's not correct. Anybody else have a car with this color scheme?

Guest COMPACTBC

To the best of my knowledge the window sills are body color. As for the sun visors I am not sure, but it would seem logical that they would be the same color as the upholstery. I think it would be a good idea for you to make an inquiry to the Buick Gallery at the Sloan Museum and see what they can come up with. They will need all of the numbers re trim/paint etc from your ID plate under the hood on the drivers side of the firewall. If you do this let me know what you find out. cool.gif

Guest COMPACTBC

Reply #2: I got curious and searched my parts book, and I find that the sun visors did not come in White and that your trim #127 had Black sun visors. tongue.gif (so much for logic)

Sometimes it had to do with rules and regulations concerning reflectivity. That's why white interiors usually have a black, gray or other color dashboard. In a convertible the visors are very visible to oncoming traffic with the top down since they stick up above the windshield header. That's probably why Buick made them black for this car.

Guest COMPACTBC

Bob,the visors in my convertible are Red, and they are original. According to my parts book they just did not offer White with any trim package. cool.gif

Guest rlbleeker

Thanks, I will consider the visors to be correct. My other white interior car is a hardtop, and my other convertibles have red interiors, all with matching visors, hence my confusion. I did some more digging and I have found traces of white paint on the sill around the vent window. I also found a photo of a black on white convert in one of my car books and it is showing white sills. So I'm thinking that is incorrect at the moment. I still think black looks better though.

Guest COMPACTBC

After furthur research, I think your assumption re White sills is correct. Both of my '62's are Red on Red so the Red sills were not much of a clue as to what is correct, and the parts book is silent on the subject. tongue.gif

However I took a look at my '64 Conv and it is a Red car with White upholstery and the sills are White. So based on that + what you have discovered under your wind wing rubber gasket, I feel that Buick does make the window sills match the upholstery. We all seem to learn a little more about our cars everyday, even after we think "we know it all".LOL smile.gif