Stromberg vs. Carter

Guest Dynaflo2

Guest Dynaflo2

I have known for years that Buick offered Stromberg and Carter carbs on my '51 Roady, but never wondered (until just now) what teh differences were between the two carbs. Does one offer any advantages over the other? Was it a matter of Buick using two suppliers in order to cover demand? Was it a geographical thing? Just wondering. I would appreciate hearing your views.

I went to Flint each year to see the new models,and often talked with the engineers.On one occasion,I asked an engineer why two carburetors.His anewer,"In case of a strike".I personaly liked the Stromberg a little better than the Carter,but I was probably in the minority.The Carter was easily understood,it had metering rods...open up the throttle,move up the metering rods(let in more fuel).The Stromberg used Air-bleed compensation,..pull down the fuel level in the main wells,bleed in more air into the main nozzles (keep the mixture from becoming too rich) Both units were required to follow an air-fuel curve,and I could never tell by driving a Buick which unit it had,nor could I ever tell by mileage from one car to the other.They wer both excellent carburetors, Ralph Crisp BCA 2399

I had two 53's with straight eights one had a stromberg carb and the other had a carter. I drove the stromberg one 180,000 miles with no carb trouble. I used to take the choke mechanism off twice a year and clean and lube it. That was all. At the time I was working for a GM dealer and they overhauled the carter three times in 30,000 miles and never did get it working right. Since then I have never had a car with a carter. If a car was only available with a carter I bought something else.

It's great to have you people with first-hand knowledge in the old Buicks - someone ought to gather all the information in this forum and write a book!<BR>Having said this, is there a book available on Stromberg carbs, one that would cover the AAV's used in 40's Buicks?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Jyrki

Guest Dynaflo2

Ralph & Reid,<P>Many thanks for your responses! I appreciate you taking the time to fill me in. My Roadmaster sports a Stromberg.<P>John