Convertible top on a 1933 Packard

V.Milke

I have a 1001 Eight convertible coupe, painted silver.

Because of the silver color, a tan top in my opinion is out of the question, so I am planning on going with black. By the way, I have a picture in a book of a V12, convertible coupe, silver with black top, which would be a very similar outlook as to what my car should be, but I have a doubt regarding the interior, as my car shows that at some point the convertible top bows were painted in a sort of tan color, so...

Could I have my car with a convertible top black on the outside and tan on the inside or should it be black/black? I want to ask what I SHOULD do... in otherwords, what did Packard used originally.

Can anybody enlighten me on this subject?

Thanks,

victor.

All original Packard convertible bows in '32-'34 were painted a fairly dark green color, closely matched by an International Truck color from the '60s called Tamarack Green, something like the engine color, regardless of interior color. All parts of the top, including header bow, center bow, rear bow, side irons and folding top props were painted. Only the front latches and the "flipper" latches above the windows were chromed. No parts of the top were ever fabric covered. Nowadays few restorers paint the top the original green color but rather go with a tan or something that coordinates with the interior. I've handled literally hundreds of Packard top parts, all of them were green at least thru 1936. Being a Packard, I suppose a prospective buyer could have specified any other color if he/she so desired. Strip off your tan and I'll bet you'll find evidence of green underneath.