Reatta Prototypes

DTakas

You may be talking about the Buicks that appeared in July 1989 Car & Driver and some other publications. The pitch was to the press to show off some performance Buicks. The article was called "Crystal-Ball Buicks" written by Tony Assenza. He does not site the exact date but the cars were at Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix AZ.

There was a Rear wheel drive turbo Reatta (0-60 = 7.0 sec) Front drive,high boost turbo Reatta (0-60 = 5.8 sec) Front drive, low boost Reatta (0-60 = 8.0 sec) A supercharged Regal (0-60 = 8.0 sec) a turbo rear wheel drive Regal (0-60 = 6.6 sec) and a 3800 V6 turbo Electra Estate Wagon (0-60 = 5.2 sec)

Put something over the keyboard to keep the saliva out of the keys .... and the next information will make you cry. At Plano, Harold (he drives the truck that hauls the Buick show cars around) said GM crushed the Reattas sometime this spring.

There could be other Reatta show cars. Someone sent me a front on Reatta that they shot at some Eastern race track. They remember it as being a PPG pace car.

the colors appears to be a metallic peach and the lower front chin piece is different than production.

there were apparently eleven turbo Reattas built in total. the split was six rear-drive, and five front-drive. they were not all destroyed.

one of the forum members who lives in California purchased two early build 1988 Reattas from a rather cantankerous gentleman from Santa Barbara. the two he purchased are rather unusual; one has reversible side moldings (black on one side, red on the other), and the other has photosensitive (even the windshield) glass. this one was used for photo sessions. both cars have eighteen-way seats (the other two functions are the "wings", or seat side bolsters) on both left and right sides, not just the driver's side only. neither car has a conventional emission label on the strut tower under the hood; in the label's place is another label GM states, "this car is a GM prototype, and is exempt from emission requirements", and shows a date of 9/27/87. both of these cars are low VINs, being in the double digits, with one being in the 60s and the other in the 80s. what is really interesting here is that technically, these cars could not be sold with an emission label like that. or even registered...

and they both have California registration and titles. Hmmmm.

the most interesting thing of all is what else this gentleman from Santa Barbara has...basically a barn full of Reattas! he apparently has two full size Reatta clays, a 1992 green convertible, and at least one turbo. he would not let anyone in the barn, saying perhaps another time. he had apparently worked on the interior design team in an outside contractor's capacity. no clue how he got all these cars.

I do have photos of parts of the two early build cars, however. the photos include the photosensitive glass, the prototype emission label, and the eighteen-way power seat switch panel. I will not circulate the photos without the permission of the owner. if there is interest, I will ask him.

as time passes, I am beginning to believe that the Reatta production log is not accurate, as many of the people who worked on the Reatta project we have as customers have told us. many of the workers on the project have said it was a work of fiction. I was stripping much of 1988 VIN 1G4EC11C2JB900217 for the last few days, which we purchased in the San Francisco bay area last year. there is no question that this is an extremely early build 1988, but how early?

I will not bore the folks here with many differences I have NEVER seen before...oh, well, just a few. when you work on these cars as much as we do, you know exactly which tools you will need for what task, and this one sent me back to the tool box several times. I was removing the fenders, and none of the nuts/bolts/fastners were like any other Reatta. for example, if anyone has ever removed a rocker panel molding, it is held on with phillips screws. not here. they were all 7MM hex head screws. this car had never been in an accident, with all panels containing the original VIN stickers. just to satisfy my curiosity, I checked the rocker panel molding on the other side. same thing. what was also strange were the door sill moldings. for anyone who has ever taken these off, you will discover a major GM boo-boo. the left ("L" on back) will be on the right side of the car, and vice-versa. they were mislabeled when they were made. and this car? no markings at all...just some scribbling with a Dremel tool. there was so much scribbling all over the car that I stopped removing anything else. I will investigate this one further at a later time.

I generally don't look at the door VIN sticker, but for some reason I did. the build date was 1/87. let's see....if the white car in the widely circulated factory photo with all the Reatta team members standing around it was actually car number 25, and was built in January of 1988...either they used a strange calendar, or there is a numbering issue, don't you think?

Mike

P.S. by the way, if there are some new forum members who have never seen a Turbo Reatta, just go to our web site, www.buickreattaparts.com, and click on

"Turbo information." there are factory photos, and also the factory press release.

• 1 year later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may be talking about the Buicks that appeared in July 1989 Car & Driver and some other publications.</div></div>

I just wanted to get verification that this is the exact issue that these cars appeared in. I went to EBAY and just about every month in 1989 is available except July. mad.gif I'd really like to get this issue.

Guest F14CRAZY

as Mario said, at a high school reunion someday, I'm gonna pull up in a twin turbo-ed Reatta and he's gonna say "phil, you should have had this 20 years ago."

Prototypes, whether gone or not, don't matter THAT much anyway. Though I am convinced that Ford probably has the 1993 Explorer, 4 door, Eddie Bauer, Touch Drive 4x4, 5 speed manual in dark blue that I've wanted so bad somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prototypes, whether gone or not, don't matter THAT much anyway.</div></div>

Unless there are pictures available to show how Buick did the RWD with existing parts. grin.gif

"the most interesting thing of all is what else this gentleman from Santa Barbara has...basically a barn full of Reattas!"

Not that surprising to me since there is a Delco Electronics plant Santa Barbara and I expect that most of the electronics development was done there (GM computers were developed in SB, not Kokimo). Guy was probably a retired exec.

I used to know quite a few people there involved in the development of the Mil-Std-1750A processor family though was not very popular because I said the design would never be able to reach the predicted speeds - distances between the components were too great and they were not using any look-ahead.

we just found one of the RWD prototypes in a barn outside of Augusta, Georgia. it is completely intact and running. we are trying to negotiate with the owner to buy the car.

the RWD prototypes used the Corvette independent rear suspension, and from what I could see, the trunk space as about half what the normal Reatta has, due to the RWD setup. the driveshaft tunnel appears to be a sheet metal affair.

this is one of the dark gray cars, with matching painted bumpers, the aftermarket wheels, and even all the ground effects are intact. the interior is dark gray and black, with the suede inserts in the seats and the carpets being black, the rest the standard dark gray.

been away from here for a while,and really glad to see that a parent finally picked up that nasty child who was posting. wink.gif

Mike

YES! Pictures please whether or not you buy the car. I'd expect to have to redo some sheetmetal in the rear and make the trunk smaller. Have to relocate the gas tank and do away with the spare tire as well. Would be so helpful to see how GM designed the setup to just copy that.

I live in Tennessee, not too far from Chattanooga. I'd love to make the drive down to Augusta just to see the car. I'd doo it this weekend too!

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can I take it out for a test spin first? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Used for hardcore underground street racing. </div></div> crazy.gif

HAHAHAHA cool.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Where these RWD protos sticks or autos?

This is ground breaking, I think. If we (someone active in the Reatta community) actually had this. Carefully dissect the special parts and document them.

I wouldn't give a flying f!!! if it's one of two or not. Or if it's museum worthy. We gotta go for a spin first.

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can I take it out for a test spin first? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Used for hardcore underground street racing. </div></div> crazy.gif

HAHAHAHA cool.gif </div></div>

"Dad, I think my Reatta needs new front tires. Those cheap Hankooks don't seem to last long at all" (tranny starts slipping soon after)

"Dad, my tranny seems to be slipping. The previous owner(s) must have abused it or something"

I'll really be Hardcore once I get Sparco seats (holy hell, they're expensive).

Recently, I red-lighted against a friend's late 90s Lesabre (series II). I got the holeshot slightly but it started to gain after 20-30 mpg. A 4 door boat beat can keep up with a Reatta? Time to do what Greg Ross did.

Or do what GM did to this prototype car

If your negotiations ARE successful, I would like to negotiate with you to purchase the car.

If your negotiations are NOT successful, I would like the opportunity to contact the owner for viewing/inspection/measurement of the vehicle for RWD conversion data. And, of course attempt to negotiate a barter/purchase.

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your negotiations are NOT successful, I would like the opportunity to contact the owner </div></div>

-to offer the owner a higher pile of cash then you ever considered grin.gif

In a free-market society, it is the buyer of an item who determines it's value.

I went to a local auction this week where I inspected a 1989 white/blue Reatta coupe w/100k in otherwise fair condition.

I was willing to pay up to 1/2 Hemming's listed value for a fair condition car.

The other bidders were willing to pay $300 more.

The car sold for $1800 + $200 buy fee = $2000 which is actually a great value, considering Hemming's Collectible Vehicle price guide says fair#4 is $3000.

I bought my first Reatta (DEERSLAYER) at the same auction, under the same circumstances, 148k miles, 2+ years ago. I paid $1975 + $200 buy fee = $2175.

Just like me this week, the other bidder 2 years ago did'nt want to bid $2000.

They beat me like I beat him, free enterprise at work, market pricing prevails.

I'm not rich in the sense of money, my greatest wealth is my love for my family and life itself.

There's no opportunity to barter at the auction, it's bring your VISA, or bring cash. Some people prefer corvettes to Reattae, (like pogo-nuts), or are just "needful" of other "things" which other bidders eitherdon't or can't offer.

Not everyone is driven by cash, even if it's how we buy our level of freedom.

I'm free to live in a mansion in Malibu, if I could only afford it.

If it comes down to cash, I'm sure the Reattadudes can find a way, if they are willing to satisfy the seller's expectations. Market pricing rules either way, Timing can be everything.

Wish I found it first! frown.gif

Nothing to do with the Reatta, but I just thought this was interesting:

1994 Pontiac GTP with a Northstar engine and Camaro 5-speed. Yes, it is RWD!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665715/1

And that mid-engined 1994 Integra that I may or may not have posted before:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=981613&page=1

Making a FWD car RWD is doable! Just need to block out all the naysayers and focus on the FACT that others have done it before and you can do it too.

The conversation here has been interesting, and I'm just going through it after being gone. Suggest rather than have have site hijacking going on as it is here, that perhaps an offsite forum, which I have seen on other forums be created so these people can rant and talk as much as they want.

Aside from that, was just wondering, as it was what I was looking for: Supposedly touch screen wasn't used for the convert because you couldn't see it. I'm guessing they found this out by trying it. Any prototype converts with the touch screen out there that have been heard of?

Did someone suggest a rant forum? Would anyone use it? I doubt it so I won't make it. Take me a whole 5 minutes to put one up. tongue.gif

Where is the pogo post? Looks like the whole thread was deleted.

Entertained most.. annoyed a few.. the few got him booted.. leftwingnuts blush.gif

Not so much a rant forum though it could be used for that, but an offsite forum for anything that people want to bring up not directly related to Reattae. People could discuss meeting individually while going to shows etc, and of course have their arguements without leaving the site. If interested, others than me should agree or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the few got him booted.. leftwingnuts </div></div>

No, actually, it was Roberta, this Forum's administrator, who banned him because of his foul language and nasty e-mail to her when she asked him to calm it down.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

I might just as well jump into this discussion ,and tell you that when Mike Doble and Gary Penn came out to look at my 63 Riv to purchase for the Buick gallery in 1988, they were driving a supercharged Reatta. It was something they had put together to see if the "big Brass" would consider it. They were turned down, and I don't know what happened to it

Guest F14CRAZY

Another weird thought...

It may be more from the influence from the Riviera, but if you've ever noticed, '88 and '89 Reatta instrument panels have a "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" script that never lights up even with the TEST button

Not unlikely, before the general destroyed all US confidence in diesel passener cars with the Olds 350 (1978-1985), it was thought that by the 1990s a lage portion of the the passenger car sales would be diesels. Also the panel was probably designed much earlier (1983-4 for 1986 Riviera) so while the diesel was still an option.

It also has a "twilight sentinel on" legend.

Went to a Corvette Forum where a very helpful poster put this up:

<span style="font-weight: bold">I found this link for you : http://www.hpsalvage.com/

And under specification (84-87)vette :

All aluminum independent rear with positrac

drum parking brakes incorporated into rear rotors

11 1/2" rotors Single piston aluminum calipers

Fiberglass leaf spring

Ratios 2.59, 2.79, 3.07

2 Models 36(7.875" ring gear) 44(8.5" ring gear)

Model 36 was used behind automatics

Model 44 behind manual transmissions

62" wide hub to hub with discs on

37 1/4" between batwing mounting bolts

44 1/2" between trailing arm mounting bracket bolts.</span>

Hope some members here have measured their Reattas. We now know the Vette, so we'll have to see if it works. If not, might have to go to a Lexus SC300 or maybe even somethine else.