Sign in to follow this  
mtnmannie

1948 Lincoln Convertible

I have a 1948 Lincoln Convertible which I believe is missing the VIN plate from the firewall. Can anyone tell me if the VIN is stamped somewhere else on the body panels or frame of the 1948 Lincoln Convertible?

Troubled,

Rich

Hi rich. if you have a way of sending pictures could you send me some of your car. if you need help with your restoration just let me know, I just finished mine in march. some of the people in the LZOC club with these rare cars dont want to help. but im here for you if you need it. go to the AACA web page and click on the photo section and type in 48 lincoln and you can see a few pictures of my car, and any information you need if I have it I will send it to you. pictures what ever.

Take care.

Jack

Your serial number is stamped on the frame next to the left engine mount. It is also stamped on the clutch housing above the inspection plate. If it's a '48 the no. will start "8H"followed by 6 digits.

The plate on the firewall isn't the VIN. It's the body number. It's coded to indicate the year model, an "H", the body style, and the consecutive body number for that style. For example, my 1939 Zephyr convertible is "96" for 1939, "H" for V-12, "76" for convertible coupe, and "15" for the 15th convertible coupe manufactured in 1939. The actual VIN is stamped on the left front crossmember near the motor mount and also on the left rear frame rail.