87 GN thermostat

Looks like the 160 stat in my GN needs to be replaced. I know I can get it from a GN supplier, but was wondering if anyone knows if it is available from a regular parts store like Autozone or Advance Auto that fits some other car.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Mark

The GN vendors are getting them from somewhere. But whether or not they will be in stock at the auto supply stores is the question--especially a 160 degree instead of the 180 degree or OEM Spec 195 degree.<P>Might check with HyperTech or some of the high performance chip people as they usually have some of those things.<P>Are you sure it's not a radiator flow situation? The cross flow radiators might look reasonably good through the filler neck but can be clogged in the lower sections.<P>Enjoy!

Don't think it's the rad as it only has 13,000 miles on it. Though I will check it to see. It just seemed odd to have the fan running all the time once it warmed up. When the heater is on, the fan goes off after a bit. The car does a lot of sitting so, my first thought was the stat went bad.<BR>Thanks for the reply,<BR>Mark

I did some checking on the web and found out a couple of things if anyone is interested. It seems that there are other stats around. The Hypertech stat #1003 is available from Autozone and Advance autoparts as a special order. Also, a company called Motorad makes a failsafe stat with 2 p/n's 203-160 and 7203-160 (last 3 digits are the temp, so 180 would be 180 degrees). It is supposedly available from Advance too. I will check to see that as well.<BR>FYI the GN stat is used on a lot of other GM models with the 3.8 like Olds 98 and Pontiac Bonneville to name a few.<BR>Regards,<BR>Mark

You can do the "old standby" of putting the thermostat in a pan of heated water with a thermometer to see when it starts to open (what the stated spec is, i.e., 160).<P>My theory on the radiator is that, with time, the silicates in the coolant will settle out somewhat--in the bottom of the core--kind of like silt in a lake. It's at the bottom so you can't see it and water will "gush" through the top so it seems things are ok--on crossflow radiators, that is. <P>The other way would be to get an infrared temperature "gun" to read the temps on the radiator tanks and such. Plus the thermostat housing and other engine parts. I think the less expensive ones are about $100.00 from the tool people and could work to check temps on most anything. The more expensive models will read to higher temps than the cheaper versions.<P>Do you have a complimentary temp switch for the fans? I would think they'd come on some when the engine warms up, but if they still come on at something like 210 degrees, I'd think they would hardly run with the 160 thermostat.<P>NTX5467