Race Car Designation Change

Your Judging Committee has approved a change in the year designation for documented race cars. This change had been requested by many race car owners. AACA will now allow the year of manufacture <span style="font-weight: bold">along</span> with the year of actual race documentation to be used as the designation. For example, a 1932 Ford that had a documented race history in 1950 would be 1932/1950 Ford. We believe this change will resolve the issue our competition car owners have expressed. Thanks for all your input.

Guest imported_jmarsicano

THANK YOU!

Now maybe I can bring mine out! Just need to make a few changes. Did they ever get the trailer situation figured out at hershey? I probably would have left along with the rest of the folks.

Joe

That is GREAT news about the Hershey trailer parking for class 24A&B vehicles. I felt bad for the members that had to leave their cars in the trailers or go home early after YEARS of restoration work. AACA could have lost BIG TIME in a law suit if someone was hurt towing a car through the RED and CHOCOLATE flea market fields PLUS out onto a state highway with an UNREGISTERED vehicle. The thought process or lack of it still has race car people talking. Glad the Region has someone with a clue running things this year. The year change shouldn't change anything I hope, just that a 1937 Ford stock car built in 1965 is a '37 Ford to everyone that sees it, but is judged as it looked racing in 1965.

Steve ~ I think this will clear up a lot of confusion among those non race car people viewing the cars. '50s parts on a '30s race car have always been a source of question and confusion. The split year designation makes sense for all concerned, judges, owners and spectators.

hvs

Ok, I am the new kid in town and don't feel it is right for me to comment on the past. However, parking and trailer unloading is a huge problem for the Region. They work on this very hard but as most of you know, they have been squeezed for space over the years. This year, they found a new solution that was enabled by the cooperation of another business concern. This will always be a challenge for the Hershey Region and all of us in the club need to work with them the best we can.

Steve,

For the size of that meet and the number of cars and people that the Hershey Region has to deal with, they do a heck of a job, and despite the headaches and complaints are always willing to put the meet on year after year. If you tasked that region with a meet of 500 cars or less those guys wouldn't know to do with something so "small." I envy the dedication and hard work that the Hershey Region dedicates year after year.

This is very good news. I think 5 or 6 people at Hagerstown questioned that they thought there was no such thing as a 1964 Bugeye Sprite. I then had to explain how AACA classifies race vehicles and the car is actually a 1958. The judging committee has hit two home runs this year - they also made the long needed change to break-up the sports car classes.

Regarding the trailer situation at Hershey, the Region recently sent out a letter detailing what they will be doing to anyone who had registered a race car last year. I can scan it and email to you if you give me your address.

Trailer parking was a real issue at Hagerstown primarily due to circumstances beyond the Region's control. It was even worse if you had a race car to run on Friday and then get on and off the field on Saturday. Mine has a self starter so I just drove it, but one does have to consider liability. My insurance people told me that your collision & liability covers the car going on and off the field and during the race car run (but obviously not racing). I chose to cut through the little dirt road they cut in the cornfield to stay off the public highway as I felt that could be a gray area to the insurance guys. The car got dirty (it can be cleaned), but it was shorter (and fun!) and a good alternative to the traffic jam getting out. The show field was very nice but egress was somewhat limited.

On top of the trailer issue the race car run was not listed in the meet calendar, so it seemed that it may have been overlooked. The handling of race cars seems to be a detail many regions overlook simply beacuse of inexperience. That being said the Region did a super job of running the cars and making life as easy as they could. They let me store the car under cover at the field Friday night which saved me a big hassle. My suggestion to National is that some emphasis should be placed on it in the instructions to regions doing a meet so it isn't overlooked. It would help these guys out - they have a million items to consider and 4 race cars can get to be low priority. We need to arrive a day early to run the car so any advance planning is really appreciated. I want to see 24A; 24B and 24C thrive so anything to help it I'm for. I for one can't wait for Hershey this year - going for a Senior!

As AACA's Chair of Strategic Planning (and a MG lover) I can tell you that the sports car class split has been an action item on our Strategic Plan for some time. We are glad it has finally become reality thanks to a lot of hard work by the Judging Committee in deciding how to best divide things up. I also hope it will bring out more sports cars. I spent the past week at "MG-2004" in Parsippany NJ with Susan's MGBGT and met a lot of wonderful people there who now can feel more welcome on the show field. Many of the cars we looked at on Saturday could quite easily where that AACA Badge of Honor-the 1st Jr/Senior tag! I had a good look at your car at Hagerstown Rich-super!!! I completely missed the motorcycle/race car test run on Friday as I didn't know when and where it was supposed to be. Its something that does get overlooked occasionally but as I can recall it is an item on the "checklist" for meets. I'll double check that with Sharon Lee, our current VP of Natl Activities. Do you realize Hershey is less than 4months away? Im getting anxious!

Terry

Terry: I was over at your motorcycle for a time but didn't find you there. I saw the MGB meet on the calendar - the NAMGAR (MGA) meet is up here in Connecticut in July. I will probably go down to look at the cars one day at least. Hopefully we will hook up at Hershey. I still have some work to do and it will sneak up fast - just like Hagerstown did.

Guest imported_jmarsicano

Wow... hopefully next year I will be able to put my car on the showfield for the race car class. Only have some small changes to get the car there.

Rich, I guess I was looking at your car while you were looking at the Triumph! I was tied up with judging for a while but then had to go get my camera-just too much great stuff and a pretty day for taking some pix. I met up with a guy from Md who just acquired a 1925 Triumph motorcycle, so we had lots to talk about concerning the restoration and parts sources. I hope you noticed my nice new gas hose for the carbide headlamp - I'll start another post on the general forum about that later.

Terry