Fuel Injection How-to

Sweet lookin now! Ya cleaned it up real nice from when I saw it. Get the dead battery prob fixed too? :-)<P>I see yahoo at it's finest, bandwidth restrictions. ugh! If you want, zip up the entire thing and email me. No limits nowhere on my system. And it's now never down. ;-P<P>Cheers!

Tomsriv, nice site. I had no problems with the site loading on my end, I'm on cable. I have a few questions regarding the fuel injection kit.<P>I have always looked at the kit that you purchased and thought that it would be the ideal setup if they made a multiport version. <P>In the past I have usually taken a factory multiport system such as the mass air unit on the Mustang and modified it for my purposes. Of course this leaves me stuck with the factory mapping and I have had to "fool" the computer to accomplish my goals. Not the ideal situation to be sure, the results have always been "good enough" but with long overlap camshafts the setup always degrades at idle because of the excess fuel in the exhaust gas messing up the O2 sensor and the computer overcompensates and I usually end up with a very unstable idle that is not "streetable".<P>With carburator systems the problem is easily handled because the carb is blind to what is happening in the exhaust and this is the type of setup I end up using on these engines.<P>Being a kind of endless tinkering type I have looked at this system thinking it could solve this problem but I would like to be able to go multiport for reasons you can understand.<P>I would purchase 4 of these systems to construct an 8 cyl. complete multiport system if I could be assured that the programming could handle this type of setup.<P>In your opinion having expierience setting up your system;<P>a) What was the minimum pulse width of the included injectors in your kit?<P>B) What was the maximum?<P>c) Where did you place the O2 sensor in the exhaust stream and what did the instructions recommend?<P>d) Does the kit allow for dual O2 sensor input? and does the kit include heated sensor provisions?<P>e) In your opinion is the system capable of handling extremes of engine operation, ie: coolant temps in excess of 250 F, closed loop operation at engine speeds above 7000 rpm?<P>f) I looked at the mapping schedule and noticed the percentages are in 4 degree increments, is this adjustable finer/coarser?<P>I know, I know a sh__load of questions but I have never had the opportunity to discuss this with anyone who had installed it themselves. The techs who have had nothing at stake and just basically got it running for the customer with less than stellar results. <P>I fully understand the amount of tuning involved to get a system like this up and running, were you satified with your results or do you feel that this is a system you will constantly be tinkering with?<P>Ok, Ok, enough with the questions already, looking forward to hearing from you.<P>P.S. Do you have a scanner to copy those instructions? How about the program?<p>[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: Chuck da Machinist ]

Tom,<P>Yahoo has bandwidth restrictions, once they're exceeded it won't release the page/site to be viewed for 2 hrs.. Call it bandwidth throttling...<P>I'm on cable now too and once Yahoo released the pages I could view them also. I'm putting together a dedicated server box if you want use of it, just lemme know.<P>Scott

Chuck,<BR> TA Performance is building a multiport system for big-block buicks. In fact, I think their system was used on the Buick Blackhawk. I believe it is basically a Camaro system. In response to you questions?<BR>A) What was the minimum pulse width of the included injectors in your kit? <BR>1.5 milliseconds<BR>B) What was the maximum? <BR>Bigger injectors can be purchased if you need more fuel. I?m not sure what the max pulse width is, but they shouldn?t be run at more than 85% or they will overheat.<BR>c) Where did you place the O2 sensor in the exhaust stream and what did the instructions recommend? <BR>There is a picture on my website of the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe right behind the right cylinder bank. Look under ?sensors? for the pic.<BR>d) Does the kit allow for dual O2 sensor input? and does the kit include heated sensor provisions? <BR>You may be able to purchase an adaptor and a second O2 sensor, but the system is set to work with just one.<BR>e) In your opinion is the system capable of handling extremes of engine operation, ie: coolant temps in excess of 250 F, closed loop operation at engine speeds above 7000 rpm? <BR>The max coolant temperature that fuel can be adjusted is at 235º. At tempatures above this it will use the setting for 235º. The system is able to operate at speeds above 7000rpm.<BR>f) I looked at the mapping schedule and noticed the percentages are in 4 degree increments, is this adjustable finer/coarser? <BR>Yes. Getting it right can be tedious. They recommend no more than a 6 digit increase between cells. Also, a particular cell in the main fuel map will inject more or less depending on the values of the surrounding cells. My fuel map looks much different than the one I put on the web site. I had to make the numbers jump up more in order for it to run right. <BR>I am satisfied with the system as it is now. I don?t feel that I will ever need to tune it again unless I change the engines air/fuel requirements with bolt-ons etc.

Thanks for the info Tomsriv, glad you are happy with the results. I studied your photos carefully and like your install. An aftermarket multiport was exactly what I was looking for.<P>Thanks again.