'60 Buick brake drums

I have a "60 Invicta. I don't know what kind of drum would be interchangable with the finned aluminum Buick drums. I wonder if it would make a difference if the drums were turned at a good brake service shop, and the shoes arced to fit the drums...just a thought.

Are the drums near maximum size, this can happen if they are within 0.005" of max. size. These drums can be relined with cast iron sleeves, but it's darn expensive and you may have trouble finding someone willing to do it. It really depends on the level of restoration. Cast iron pipe in the inside diameter of your drums can be the donor for the liners if you do some searching.

The Buick Alum. drums are nice to look at but a pain. Once that inner steel liner starts to seperate from the alum. housing thats it. No amount of cutting can correct it.<BR>They may be fine for several thousand miles but one quick stop, the drums heat up and the thump-thump is right back. I get a kick out of the socalled hot rodders buying and paying these high prices for these drums. I do know that some of the earlier drums up to 56, were the same front and rear, only difference was the front hub. Might be worth some time to pull rear drum and see how it fits front, if it fits well you can have machine shop remove hub from front and install on a rear drum. You can also drive through a hollanders interchange manual and see what other vehicles will fit.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@al.com

1960 rear shoes are 1/4" narrower than the fronts, so I doubt that the drums are interchangable. 1960 rear drums probably can be adapted to the front of a 1961 and later care, however, as those shoes interchange. <P>(According to one of my texts [Norbye & Dunn, I think}, it seems the engineers were reprimanded for the 59/60 brakes because they didn't wear fast enough and the dealers complained about a loss of lucrative brake job revenue. When the heavier '61's came out either GM or the Division mandated narrower shoes to speed up the maintenance cycle for brake jobs. --And one wonders why Ralph Nader came to be! rolleyes.gif" border="0 )