1956 Buick Century Dash Pad Removal

I have removed all the screws/bolts/moldings<BR>etc..as I need to replace the pad. How does one separate the upper dash from the lower<BR>dash. I followed the shop manual but still I<BR>cannot get it separated. Any ideas. Loren<BR>56 Buick Century

Guest Shaffer

Was 1955 the first year that a padded dash was available on the Buick? I had either read or someone had posted here before about it. I thought that someone said it was first available on the 55 Roadmaster. Oldsmobile I know had them as early as 1953. Maybe earlier. Someone here locally has a 1953 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight convertible for sale at a car lot and it has a factory padded dash and leather interior.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Contacton of ourlocal club members, Art Lostumo Jr, the 1956 Techinical advisor.<P>E mail dynaflash@aol.com<BR>Phone 847-455-9119<P>I know he has had his apart.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C Roadmaster Conv.<BR>1959 Olds SS-88 Holiday Sport Sedan

I hain't got her apart yet. I unscrewed all<BR>the screws, unbolted all the bolts, pulled<BR>all the flatheaded clips I could find and<BR>it still won't come apart. May need a crowbar<BR>as the car sat for 12 or 13 years and I think maybe moisture has rusted the two sections together. Will let everyone know<BR>when I do get the thing apart. Loren 56 Century

Oh boy, my first junkyard experience was with my Dad, getting the speedo out of a '56, but I can't remember how to do it either, and I have to change the speedo in my Special one of these days. Call my dad at 607-687-1515 and ask him(Bob aka RJ). or email Mom(Dolores aka DR) BCA#24889 dvasilow@att.net <BR>It seems like I remember that once you have all the screws out if you sit in the middle of the car and push the dash up off the tabs the screws were in, then pull it towards you it should come out, what a job, though. There's a story, my 6th birthday, party with a bunch of young ladies from school at the house, and RJ was working on the speedo, and didn't disconnect the battery and the dash caught on fire and my mom grabbed my dad's field jacket, his favorite, to throw on the fire, ouch, the things you remember, sometimes like it was yesterday, oh boy, I am trouble?<p>[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: BUICK RACER ]

Hi guys,<BR>I've (sadly) had the padded dash off from my '56 Special about four times during the past 16 years that I've owned the car so that I could repair the speedo and replace an oil pressure guage. It also makes it easier to remove and replace the radio from the top, rather than dropping it out from the bottom.<BR>Now, how did I do it?<BR>After removing the 8,456 screws, bolts, clips, moldings, and other assorted do-dads, you (like Roberta said) sit in the center of the seat, brace yourself, and POUND YOUR FISTS near the front edge of the dash. I learned this trick out of shear frustration during the first removal after I had tried everything else. My dad once told me that when everything else failed, try beating the hell out of it, so I did!<BR>After a couple of nice smacks, and a few choice words, the rear (toward the windshield) edge relucttantly let loose and I was then able to wiggle it free and out of the way.<BR>They can be a real pain in the a--, but don't back off, just let it know who is boss!<BR>Hope this helps!!<BR>Good luck,<BR>Bob Leets