322 4blb intake waned or not?

My 56 special is a stone....The 322 runs smooth and is in great shape, but man is it slow. I think that the dynaslow trans is a large part of it.<BR> My question is this. Would adding a 4blb carb with a factory 4blb manifold make a substantial performance over the stock 2blb with the dynaflow. I have already had dual exhaust installed. What about a cheeseball 2blb to 4 blb carb adaptor that I happened to have around the garage. Any other suggestions to get this rolling would be appreciated.<BR> P.s. Accelation is whats bad. Highway cruising is fine.

Forget the 2bbl to 4bbl adapter. A 4bbl carb and intake might give you another 25 hp if your lucky, and most of the gain would be above 3000 rpm. <P>From a seat of the pants viewpoint and from the bang for the buck category I would say that you would best spend your hard earned dollars on a set of rear end gears, in the 3.50 to 1 range is a good street/highway compromise.<P>This will multiply the torque at the rear tire and really wake up the car off the line. Since you have a rather large car this would help the most. Remember torque is what accelerates the car, horsepower is just a measure of torque X rpm and really just indicates the torque characteristics of the engine.<P>If you only drive the car in the city you might try out some 3.73 or higher gears, nice for that punch off the line.<P>Some larger cars I've swapped gears in actually got better mileage mainly because I wasn't putting the pedal down so far anymore because of the increased torque multiplication. Worth considering in any case.

• 4 weeks later...

You'd be better off spending your time considering prepetual motion than wasting time searching for parts that dont exist. I have also gone the 4bbl route on my '56 and while it aint a white knuckle terror, it got rid of the off idle lull that plagued the 2bbl.<BR>Cheers

Lets face it guys, a 4 bbl ain't gonna help<BR>a two speed dynaslush. I've got the stock<BR>factury set-up on my 56 Century and she the slowest thing to get off the line. My aunt's<BR>faster than it is and she is a 105 yrs old.<BR>Learn to live with it and as some of the old<BR>timers says check the dash-pot settings and<BR>make sure all the linkage is proper. Once<BR>you've done all that live with it and the horns<BR>honking behind you. Loren 56 Buick Century

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the 4blb carb and intake. If I have any improvement at all its a step in the right direction. If not maybe I could get that 105 year old aunt to give it a shove.

You guys with the slow 56's need to find someone who knows about your Dynaslow...The 56 had an accumulator switch that kicked in at full throttle that in effect added a lower gear to the trans (don't remember, but I think that it changed the pitch on the torque converter). I raced a 57 back in 57, and my trans guy added a 56 accumulator switch that cut my elapsed time by over a second. The 56's were bad, and with a 4 barrel, dual exhausts and a curve in the distributor, they would run low 15/high 14 second quarter miles. Fuel Injected or 2X4 57 Chevy's were really fast if they ran faster than 15 flat...

Well Chuck, You did it again. I was strongly considering 4 bbl for my 300 "66" Skylark<BR>What a pain. Intake Manifold (65 only), Carb,<BR>Linkage, Rebuild Carb, etc. I think the rear end gear theory is palletable. Especially with a 2 speed standard trans. A lot less hassle. Thanks Again, Greg...NEW1966