Window glass for Zephyrs

Rolf

Been looking for estimates on my '41 from glass shops in the Los Angeles area, so far not one will touch the job, whole different world out there I guess, never used to be a problem at all to get flat safety glass, anybody able to offer any recent advice, thanks in advance, Rolf

Thanks Jack, just went to my trusty Atlas, published in 1975, and it does not have an Orangevale listed, has Orange and Orange Cove, so where the heck is it near, my '41 is running pretty good now, and I could float a bank loan for the gasoline, my rear window is OK, but I need a windshield, door windows, and rear 1/4 windows for a club coupe, any ideas what your guy might charge??

Oranevale is east of Sacramento and just west of Folsom. He charger me $160 to cut and install a new windshield for my Lincoln side windows might run a little more if he has to take them out and reinstall them. Heres his Phone# just in case. Kidwells Glass 916-961-6917 let them know what type of car it is as they have 2 places, one for newer cars and one for classics and steetrods. they do an excellant job.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Rolf, For what it is worth, I have purchased glass from ads in Hemmings Motor News. I have done this on a couple of occasions and have not used the same glass company. These glass companies have patterns and can date the glass using the same date code that Ford used. I have never had a problem installing the glass. I did need to go to a local glass shop and purchase a few feet of seal tape. I think to replace all of the glass in my Continental the cost was under $300.00 with shipping. I did not replace all the glass in my Lincoln convertible and I think windshield, L & R vent glass and one door glass was unde$250.00 I think the windshield rubber seal is available through one of the venders in the sources section of this site.

Bill

Thanks Rick and Bill, of course my car is a '41 Zephyr club coupe with the big 1/4 windows, my back window, the curved one is thankfully OK, Naragansett in Rhode Island has new windsahield rubbers for $135, and Jack has informed me that he had one done for $160, but times are tough in spite of what GWB says, and I am looking for a better deal, but thanks guys, Rolf

• 1 month later...

Hello

I live in West Los Angeles. About 15 years ago I rebuilt a 39 Coupe and I went to Van Nuys Glass and they had all the patterns for Zephyrs and they cut them and I bought rubber at a car show and installed them. If you dont find any glass, contact me and I will stop by there and see if they still have the patterns. duffner@flash.net

Thanks for all the help guys, the problem is now solved, my son found an old glass guy in Burbank that knows his stuff, and my club coupe now sports nice new glass all around, not cheap, but installed right, funny, from long distance my son kept insisting the original windshield in the '41 had a curve in it, and I kept insisting they are flat, the glass guy solved the dilemma by pointing out that long ago a major wreck had distortred the WS opening, and the flat glass was trying to curve to fit the opening, this accounted for the big crack down the center of the original WS, glass doesn't bend too well, here is a pic with the glass installed, still a long way to go on this car, but this is definitely a step forward, Rolf

• 2 months later...

Sure Dave, glad to, but Jack's guy in Orangevale may be closer for you, and a lot cheaper, we paid a lot more than that for ours, will have to get the data from my son, will try to remember next time I speak to him, and will post it here, sure changes the whole look of the car having nice new glass, plus the '82 Continental power windows it now sports, work like a champ too, but still hard to see out of that tiny back window, Rolf